All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 21:20 

Kindergarten team, 4 on 4, 27.5 " ball, 6' rim
defense has to stay in the paint.
am looking for 1-2 simple plays that the kids will be able to learn.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 14:29 

I don't think you'll get a lot of answers to your question at that age level. I would look for a simple offense -- IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN SHOT, SHOOT IT! Seriously, you'll need to tell the kids it is ok to shoot.

One thing you might try is "Get Johnny." Each time down the floor, call a kids name and the object is to get that kid the ball to shoot. Try to teach the kids how to cut to the ball and the basket. Maybe something will open up and you'll get lucky. Be forewarned, you'll need an alignment of the planets to have a shot go in. Good luck.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 14:35 

Amen to that golfman..... shoot the ball if you are open, keep it very simple and let these kids have FUN.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 07:54 
Site Admin

I agree. Don't worry about plays. Your play will just be verbally giving them suggestions during the game... "Jimmy, pass the ball to someone. Joey, shoot. Yeah!!! Good shot!!!" (Even though it's an air ball.)

I have never tried to play an actual game with kindergarten kids. That will be interesting. My daughter is in kindergarten and she plays soccer for fun. They play 3 on 3. They do NOT understand the concept of passing. They are too young and that concept is beyond them. Getting a 5 year old to share (aka: pass) can be tough. So when they play games, it's a 3 or 4 kids swarming around the ball trying to kick the crap out of it. The rest of the kids are picking grass, their nose, crying, or running the wrong direction.

If possible, consider 3 on 3. Also just consider fun drills instead of games. Kids can play things like Dribble King and Dribble Tag. But an actual game of basketball is more complex and difficult. If you need help with fun drills/activities kids can play, let us know. We have a bunch on this site.

Above all, like Sars said, everyone should have FUN (including you)! You just have to be silly and give them really simple games to play where they have the ball in their hands.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 13:57 

Tee,

It's hard enough to get older kids (over 10) to run plays and usually I don't recommend any plays for kids under 13.

I teach a basic basketball class for 6-9 year olds, and passing is very time consuming to teach. Tell them to take the open shot. Teach them dribbling, and playing some defense without tackling. lol.

Enjoy!

Get Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Top Priorities For A New Youth Basketball Coach
http://www.bestyouthhoops.com/blog