All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 09:56 

Last year(5th grade) we ran mostly set plays with the boys learning how to set screens and cut, etc. I would like to incorporate the motion offense this year. We will most likely be running a 3-2 with a high and low post since we have some decent size in those areas.

I'm not sure where to start but would like to keep it simple. Can anyone share what they have been doing that seems to work well for 6th graders?

Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 10:19 

If you look on the left hand side under OFFENSE > Man to Man > Motion Offenses > Motion Offense Tips and Drills you should find what you are looking for.

You are doing your kids a big service this year by teaching them motion offense fundamentals.... a couple of sets are fine.... but just running sets makes them robots on the floor.... they need to learn how to set and read screens etc.

Good luck, I hope you are VERY successful teaching them motion this year.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 10:23 

This is from Jeff and Joe -

Motion Offense for Youth Basketball

We highly recommend motion offense for youth basketball because it�s an extremely effective way to develop players. Motion offense allows you to teach fundamentals while working on your team offense. That might seem strange at first, but you actually work on skills and motion offense at the same time. It�s an extremely efficient way to practice. Not to mention, motion offense gives players freedom to learn "how to play".

When teaching a patterned offense and set plays, you waste countless hours trying to get players to memorize the pattern. This is a waste of time and takes away from skill development (which is the MOST important thing for young kids).

Back to my original point, here�s how you can work on Skills (fundamentals) and Motion Offense at the same time...

First, pick a couple cuts or screens that you think would be good for your group. For example, you could choose down-screens and away-screens.

Next, run shooting/footwork drills that incorporate those movements. You could have two offensive players (no defense). One player on the wing, another player on the block. A coach or third player could have the ball on top of the key. The player on the wing sets a down screen, the other player rubs off the screen, catches the ball, pivots, and shoots. Now repeat over and over. Your players are working on screens (part of your motion offense), pivoting footwork and shooting (skills).

You can do the same thing with away screens, basket cuts, and any type of cut or screen. The key is to choose a couple elements from your motion offense and turn those elements into skill building drills. Your imagination is the only limit to the types of drills you can come up with. It�s also important to mix things up and make the drills fun too!

By practicing this way, you save a huge amount of time and get more done.

In a youth motion offense, your primary rules should allow you to maintain spacing, maintain order, keep people moving, and keep everyone involved. For example, use a 5-out motion and have three rules:

After every pass, the passer moves. (Cut or screen)
Do not stand still for more than 2 seconds.
Take the first good shot.
When teaching motion to young players, don�t go too fast and don�t worry too much about your players executing offense. If they maintain decent spacing and move around, you are in good shape. Almost all of your time should be on skill development. Then as time goes on, you can take a skill and show them how to use it in different situations in the motion. But even before that just let the kids get comfortable on the court. Let them play and learn at the same time as you. Movement and spacing will cause things to happen. They will start figuring things out.

Youth coaches should concentrate on teaching skills and then just letting kids play. Motion is perfect for that.

AND, since you have 2 good post players you can also run something for them.....

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 10:27 

3 out 2 in Motion Offense
The 3 out 2 in motion offense plays 3 players on the perimeter and 2 players in the post. This set works best when at least one of the post players can shoot a bit.

In the 3 2 motion, perimeter players space outside the lane (green area) while the inside is reserved for the 2 post players (blue area).

The post players can move in a high low post fashion or can work as a double low post. The two post players work together, screening for one another, trying to create offensive opportunities off one another. As they screen, they read the defense and react. For example, when screening, if the post cuts off the screen to a high flash, the screener roles low. If the cutter flashes low, then the screener cuts high.

The posts also fill gaps in the offenses spacing. For example, if there is no perimeter player on top, a post player can fill the spot.

Post players can also screen for perimeter players. The 2 post players are very effective setting down-screens, UCLA screens, flex screens, flare screens, etc.

Perimeter players can cut through the middle and off post screens but should leave the lane immediately. They can also pass and screen for each other. The presence of a second post player presents great opportunities for stagger screens for perimeter players.

You can find this on the left side under 3-2 m2m offense

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 11:55 

My experience is with 3rd and 4th graders (moving to 5th and 6th), but here is what I have found. I think you'll need to determine your team's basketball "intelegence" before deciding exactly what to do. A lot will depend on thier ability to think on the court. A lot of time kids are looking for exactly what to do -- go to spot A, then go to spot B, etc. If they don't know what to do or where to go, they will tend to just stand and wait. Even with a simple rule like pass and screen away, they would pass and stand because "screen away" was too generic. And I am sure you experienced half your team running a play and the other half forgeting what to do. Same thing will happen with motion offense.

The resources Coach Sar mentioned are all good. I think they have a motion offense package for sale as well -- which is good. You'll just need to modify it to fit your team.

So here are some ideas I have used -- will work with some kids and have no chance with others.
1) Keep your rules as simple as possible. And try to limit the number of rules. A lot easier said than done. Some rules should deal with where to go -- i.e.; cut to the basket or the ball.

2) I have used a number system to help call out screens and start the action -- i.e; 24 means the 2 screens for the 4. I could make "plays" up on the fly -- 24, 34, 52, etc. This at least gave them some direction of where to go.

3) If you're having trouble getting mutiple screens and cuts, think about assigning players to be a screener or a cutter. Now he only has one "job" to do. Player A and B screens for Players C,D,&E who cut off the screens and look to score. What I have found is that leaving it too loose and open, nobody looks to screen -- they all just run arround or stand still.

4 Focus on good spacing. As they move, they will tend to bunch up.

Good luck.