All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 01:24 

Looking for suggestions on how to play against aggressive teams that seem to have a "go for the steal" defensive scheme. The refs in our league tend to let "bumps" on attempted steals slide, so before you know it, the kids are getting more aggressive while going for the ball. Game gets sloppy and turns into this hyper mess of kids grabbing for the ball all the time. If my kids were a bit older and I had a few more ball handlers, I'm sure we could make teams like that pay for the "attempted steals".

Most of the teams in this league have a pretty aggressive style, taking the fouls and pretty much playing a high paced game with little or no offensive structure. Over the years we've taken a more controlled approach and tried to be the calmer team not giving into the temptation to race up and down the court.

Any thoughts on how to deal with those types of teams?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2010, 07:28 

I'm not sure what age group you are coaching but I get the idea that these are younger kids. The other coaches are NOT doing those kids IF they don't teach proper fundamentals of m2m defense. NOW, if they are just being very aggressive on Defense - NOT trapping but looking for steals.... I would suggest that you spread them out and when you get a chance to take the ball to the basket.. go for it.

I'm not so sure that "taking the fouls" is a good philosophy with young kids. Thats a bad message they are sending. This is more about WINNING than teaching the game. Youth league refs have a tendency NOT to blow the whistle a lot.. it would be a whistle game with young kids so they let them play more.

Leagues like this do more damage to young kids development than helping them learn the game and get them ready for the next level.
We have discussed this situation ad nauseam on this site... take some time and look around at the other subjects... I don't think that there is ONE experienced coach that would agree with what they are doing.

Good luck