All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 15:44 

Coaching 1&2 Graders. Progressing nicely w/ help of the drills and advice from this site. Dribbling=good; Defense = excellent; Shooting - OK...etc. Great impreovement from Day 1 when some had not even touched a ball.

My problem now...catching a Pass. Since the majority of the league plays SWARM to the Ball defense, Yuor website has belped with SPACING concerns via various Drills. While the other Team is swaming to the ball, the player with the Ball can throws a pass across to the other side for another Player's open shot.

My problem is the Receiving Players catching of the Pass. When they do catch the pass, they have learned to square up and take a quick/good shot.

Can you recommend any drills to help the Catching of the Pass???

I appreciate your response and this Site!!!!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 17:26 

I would imagine that part of the problem is the hand strength.... they're young and its to be expected.

We used a heavy ball for some passing drills, we used a tennis ball because it forced them to concentrate a little more- have them stand by the wall and make some passes to themselves... as hard as they can and be successful. SHORT and HARD PASSES.

You can do a couple of pepper drills... running the floor and passing back and forth to each other.
1- A 2 man drill.... (one player on the sideline the other on the free throw lane line) they run up and down the floor passing the ball back and forth to each other. Slowly at first and then quicker as they master it.

2- A 3 man drill (one in the middle and one on each sideline.... start the ball in the middle, pass to one side, back to the middle and then to the other side.... keep doing this down the floor and then back.

I hope these help.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 18:37 

Once they get hit in the nose a few times, they'll learn to catch. :)

One thing you'll want to watch for and coach them is to move with their hands up, ready to catch the pass. A simple "pass pattern" drill can work. One guy is the "QB" -- could be a coach. Players run a 5 yard and cut in pattern. Pass and catch. If need be they can even take the shot toward the hoop. Good luck.