All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 20:30 

I am coaching 5th and 6th graders. I purchased the Motion offense ( great product) but could use some tips on how to teach the fundamentals of ball reversal to my kids. I understand it but need some advice on the way to make my team understand how important it is to motion.
Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 14:42 

You might explain to the kids that its easy to guard 1-2 passes... but after that the defense breaks down and allows you to get better and easier shots.

In practice have a rule that every one needs to touch the ball before we are going to shoot it... another rule... 5-6 passes and a post touch before you can shoot it. They will work harder to make good passes and get everyone involved in the offense.

Walk them thru this on the floor showing them how to reverse the ball from one side of the floor to the other and back again. Is this what you were looking for?

Ken

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 10:05 

Here is something that I got this morning... thought it might interest you... the problem with your age group is... CAN THEY HANDLE THE BALL THAT LONG?

"DEEP THOUGHTS ON BASKETBALL"

(By Kevin Eastman...Boston Celtics Assistant Coach)

Courtesy of Coach Kevin Eastman, "http://kevineastmanbasketball.com"

TRUISM # 1: There is a direct correlation between the number of ball reversals and defensive breakdowns. (this means points on the board)
Our players have to understand that the hardest thing to do defensively is to close out — to be running out at a player from the help position. Having said that, we need to understand that an advantage our offense must look to create is to get the defense to close out as often as possible; we want the ball to be reversed from side to side. With our team I can tell you that our scoring proficiency goes up as the number of passes and ball reversals goes up. Of course we have a shot clock that forces us to shoot the ball quicker, but we still would like a minimum of 3 passes as we then know the ball is getting reversed. When we only throw 1 or 2 passes we find that it is very easy for the defense to load up to the ball

Hope this helps,
Ken

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 10:12 

I'll agree with Ken. They can't handle the ball that long. Probably a little better at 5/6 grade than 3/4 grade. However, I have found 1 to 2 passes is all that you can get before everything breaks down -- kids out of position, defense swarming the ball, no fouls being called, etc.

Here is what I would try -- have them read the defense. If the defeder is playing in the passing lane, the have them cut to the basket and not force the pass for the reversal. If the defender is playing off, then they can v-cut and pop out to get an easy pass. My guess is at this age, most kids will be defending up close trying to deny the pass. If you don't get the reversal, you could get any easy layup. Good luck.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 10:17 

I used to run an Open Post offense and you really had to be able to handle the ball well, read defenses and make appropriate moves... pass and catch... had some great teams running this.... and then, there were those teams that were dangerous to themselves and others handling the ball.. so the rule there was... the first guy that has an open look, a shot that they can make, please shoot the ball.

So, work hard on their ball handling skills, passing and catching and reading defenses.

Good luck,
Ken