All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 01:45 

5th/6th grade rec league. All the teams we've played so far this yr run a 2-1-2 or 3-2 zone defense. Our shooting % is a whopping 25% six games into the season. The kids are taking more outside shots instead of working the ball around looking for the open man closer to the basket.

I'm basically running a 5 out motion offense and in practice (as always) things work great. The kids set up nice and wide with a deep arc around the 3 pt line. They move the ball around the parameter, pass and cut, set away screens, etc. Come game time, the arc get closer to the defense, kids pass once, maybe twice and seem to throw up a panic long shot. These kids can make baskets, however, they don't seem patient enough in game situations to find those good shots.

Don't want to spook them into not taking a shot if they have one, but I know they're smart enough to move the ball and find the open man. Any suggestions on drills or concepts that will help here?

Thanks!

CRob

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 14:24 

From what you are saying here, you are already running drills and have a set offense... why don't you try this in practice... no outside shots until the post touches the ball.

That will teach team work and patience... and it sure will make the post players happier!

Ken

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 21:45 

I agree with Sars, even in games, i would tell them five passes before a shot ala Hoosiers or everyone has to touch the ball at least once prior to a shot. Tell them that in order to get off a high percentage shot, they must make the zone shift and the best way for that is quick reversals of the ball.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 12:49 

You guys nailed it. I've done that every year since 2nd grade and for some goofy reason I haven't emphasized it as much this year. From 2nd grade through 4th we'd count passes in games and reward them for achieving a pre-determined # of passes after the game. It worked well.

Thanks for the reminder!

CRob

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 22:55 

UPDATE: Told the kids 5 passes before anyone thinks about a shot tonight on offense. Played a team that beat us earlier in the season by 4 pts. Won tonight 34-22.

Always feels good to win, but it wasn't the score that has me stoked, it was the way it actually looked like basketball tonight. The longest shot our kids took was from the free throw line, all the rest were high percentage shots from passing 5+ times. Pretty cool to yell out "Five!" every once in a while to remind them about the passes.

Thanks again for the reminder guys! Can't believe I abandoned something that's worked season after season for me.

Oh, and had another kid take a charge tonight and get to choose something out of the snack machine.

CRob

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 05:15 
Site Admin

Awesome! Congrats on the player improvement. That's when coaching is a lot of fun!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 03:46 

.rob: now you have me stoked...I love it when things work.well done..coach mac.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 16:40 

I agree.... its always nice to give some advice and see it work out... glad that you are seeing some success with the team now. This WILL make your team better too....

Ken