All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018, 18:00 

I saw in Jeff’s blog that he ran this offense a few years ago with a tenth grade team. I have the perfect team to run it but they’re seventh graders. Is that too young to run this offense? Should I stick with the 5 out? Would you just have the post player ball screen and stick with cuts and screens away with the other players?
Thanks,
Ken

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2018, 06:33 
Site Admin

My opinion...

I think it's fine to run 4 out 1 in at this age level... as long as you get your post players time on the perimeter too. Avoid pigeonholing any players into the post position. You might have a 7th grade that's tall now, but might be done growing and they need to develop guard skills so they have a chance to play in high school.

I also think 5 out is great. You can tell your bigger players or any of them they can temporary post. So you can tell certain players.... any time the ball is on the wing or corner and you cut through the lane (curling off a screen, flash cut, face cut, back door cut, etc) you can post up.

That's what I do. I run 5 out and tweak it alowing temporary posts. In some cases players will stay there for 2-4 passes, other times they just post for 2 second, realize the won't get it any time soon and pop out.

You can tweak things however you want but 5 out is flexible. 4 out is a good offense too. You really can't go wrong.