All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 01:13 

In using the cut and fill or open post offense for a youth team (10-12 yr olds), is it better to use the read spot (for the wing player who will fill the point position) or not? It seems like it would be simpler for the wing player to directly fill the point position, with the rule to back cut as soon as the defender crosses the 3 point line. Since so many coaches teach to use the read spot, I wonder what disadvantage there may be in not using it...

Thanks

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 07:50 
Site Admin

Yea I think the answer you get will depend on who you ask. I keep it pretty simple and give players quite a bit of freedom. We work on various skills, cuts, and screens in practice -- and then on offense just tell players, to keep spacing, fill open spots, and if you are covered get open immediately. Sometimes players pop out, face cut, back cut, ball screen, v-cut, l-cut, or screen away. Or if you just to fill straight to the ball, catch, and shoot.

What they do kind of depends on the specific player, the team, and their skill level. It really varies.

Here's a drill that gives you an idea on how to introduce a couple options (only the pop out and back cut option) for getting open when you fill to the ball:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/play.asp?id=437&filterreviews=upvotes

I do not use the read line. I can only say I like our motion and how our players develop. I have no problem with coaches that do use the read line. But I can't give pros/cons of using it because I have never tried. Something just didn't feel right to me about using it so I never did. I guess my concern is playing became a little too robotic and I want them to "just play".