All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2017, 11:14 

This is my 3rd year coaching my daughter but really the first year of trying to actually teach any kind of offense as i am a complete novice when it comes to these things. I grew up playing backyard basketball all the time but never made any formal team so I never had coaching myself. My 3rd grade girls team plays in a league that has 6 periods. I have 6 team members so for development purposes I let each one have a period to be the primary ball handler to advance the ball up the court and initiate the offense. The two weakest ball handlers come up and initiate our 5 out offense with a pass and cut pretty much every time. The two best ball handlers usually just beat the point defender off the dribble and get a good scoring opportunity. The other two usually try to attack off the dribble and end up having to pick the ball up and look for a pass from a less than ideal position because they aren't skilled enough to get all the way to the rim yet. They have done fairly well with spacing through the season so far and I have taught them to have an attack mentality against pressure defense through many competitive 1 on 1 drills in practice. I like that they have taken this to heart and really tried to be aggressive but it seems the first option has become dribble drive rather than pass and cut despite me talking about it constantly and drilling our offense at least 15 minutes of every practice. We do no-dribble 3v3 and they can actually get good shots out of that drill most of the time(and it actually resembles team basketball)...but as soon as I allow them to dribble again it goes back to what I have described above. For development purposes should i require "x" amount of passes before dribbling in games no matter who is advancing the ball up the court?(in other words stop the successful dribble drives from the two best ball handlers) I really want them to develop decision making and find the best option without me having to set these types of rules, but maybe it will take a few weeks of this to help them see the options we practice are also effective in games. Advice?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 18:42 

Here's what I did. For a few games, I actually focused on how many passes the team could make in a game. Then I gave out a "what's in the bag?" to the entire team if they reached a certain number of passes in that game. Usually something simple from the dollar store.

2nd/3rd grade, you'd be surprised how many passes a team can make in one game. Hint: it's more than 50.

The challenge with this type of deal is parents can get a bit excited when their kid isn't driving to the basket or taking an open shot. It's also challenging because kids want to know when they can shoot. You'll have to decide that (i.e., 6 passes, 7 passes?).

I know it's a bit radical, but once the kids start to see that ball movement, it pays off. You're talking about 1 or 2 games, this isn't the end of the world if they don't take a few shots or drive to the basket.

Food for thought.