All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 09:53 

Well, I was asleep at the wheel apparently and didn't realize all of the rule changes in going from 5th to 6th grade in our league. Last year we had no zone, no press (except last 2 minutes), small balls, and 9' baskets. This year we'll have zone defense, pressing the whole game, full-size balls, and 10' baskets. I'm really unhappy about it and think that this is at least a year too early, especially since this is a rec league. We only have one 1.5-hr practice per week so I was planning to use the 5 out motion cutters since it's very easy to teach (no specialization) and then focus on passing, dribbling, shooting, defense, and rebounding. Now I have to use time to deal with zone defense and breaking a press. I think I have enough info on handling the zone (from the website, ebook, and recorded seminars), but the press has me really worried.

Any pointers on an easily taught way of breaking the press that will be reasonably effective and not consume too much practice time? As an added constraint, we only get a half court to practice on!

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 12:52 

I'm with you. For too many reasons to go into here, kids are not physically nor mentally developed at that age to deal with pressures. In addition, there ability to play a zone defense at a level where most kids cannot even competently reach the basket on a shot from the foul line is absolutely ludicrous. These should not be allow until an age where kids are well into puberty and they start to develop the attributes that are necessary to gain some measure of success while executing the skills necessary to play the game.

I think your first line of adjustment should be to find another league. One that cares about the development and enjoyment of the kids instead of one where coaches can take advantage of kids that are not physically or mentally prepared to handle the task.

Not being able to do that, let's address your pressure offense. Even at the highest level (and I have coached professionals) I try to keep it really simple. I divide the court into 3 lanes, 2 sides and the middle. There are short and long options in the side lanes. And just like a motion, I put in rules.

The ball should not cross lanes on the dribble
If there is a pass into the middle, look long opposite.
Your first instinct on receiving the ball is to break the press FOR A LAYUP (mentality!!!) on the dribble.

You looks are:
1 - bust on the dribble
2 - long, over the top
3 - middle, long opposite
4 - back to the inbounder, swing to the other side and do it again.

Trying to answer this in this forum is difficult and I am sure it sounds more complicated than it really is. It truly is the simplest thing I have ever done (and I run a motion, which is as simple as it gets)

If you wish to contact me directly, feel free and we can put it on paper and it will be much easier to visualize.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 13:25 

Thanks so much for you reply, Don. This site is really a wonderful resource for guy like me.

I think I follow what your saying. It sounds pretty similar to what's here http://www.coachesclipboard.net/PressBreaker.html.

A couple of questions on the looks for clarification:

"1 - bust on the dribble" -- receiver dribble upcourt in his lane
"2 - long, over the top" -- over the defender, upcourt in the same lane
"3 - middle, long opposite" -- receiver looks to pass in the middle lane or upcourt on the opposite side.

Did I get that right?

On the inbound pass (making that first pass can be hard!), would you run some screen or stack or just try to teach the point guard to how to bounce off his defender and come back to the inbounder (or seal and go long)?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 13:56 

That breaker looks like it is simple and should be effective.

I might put my 4 and 5 players further up the court in the side lanes because I don't like to overload the backcourt against the press. I also don't ask anyone to wait 2 seconds. I like them to turn and go, usually up the sideline. That is not the gospel but just personal philosophy and what I am comfortable with. You have to do what is good for you.

In regard to the inbound pass, I would teach both. The bounce in individual skills and screens to get open in team practice. It doesn't matter how you get them open, as long as they get open and are in there lane.

In regard to your questions about terminology, 1 and 2 are correct.

Middle, long opposite, for me, is throw the ball up the court to the middle (how or who goes to the middle is up to you, as long as the ball advances). Once the ball is in the middle, he looks long opposite. In other words, if the pass comes from the right lane, the middleman turns and looks for someone long in the left lane.

There are techniques involved with all of this, such as types of pivots, etc., that might make it a little more efficient, but the philosophy comes first.

I hope this doesn't confuse you.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 13:58 

[quote="kelbickd"]
Middle, long opposite, for me, is throw the ball up the court to the middle (how or who goes to the middle is up to you, as long as the ball advances). Once the ball is in the middle, he looks long opposite. In other words, if the pass comes from the right lane, the middleman turns and looks for someone long in the left lane.
[/quote]

Got it! Thanks again.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 18:34 

I'm in the same boat. Blew me away our first game when the other team used a full court press the entire first half. The toughest part is getting the kids not to panic.

One drill that has worked for us is going with 3 vs. 4 or even 5. I allow the 4 or 5 to full court press and tell the 3 trying to break the press they can't dribble. I'll add players (and allow dribbling) to the team of 3 once they start breaking the press on their own. The no dribble plus extra player on defense definitely challenges them.

Bummer you have to prepare for stuff like this in a "rec" league, but if you don't the game turns into a massacre.

This might seem strange, but we tell the kids to break the press, slow it down and set up the offense unless they have a clear path for a layup. I've found if you try and make them pay for pressing (at this age level), it usually turns into this chaotic sprint up and down the court trying to match steal for steal.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 15:59 

After 4 games of 2-1-2 half-court zone that we finally figured out pretty well, I've faced full court (zone and man-to-man) presses, half court 3-1-1 presses, and even a box and 1. On top of this, all but one practice was canceled to make up games lost to snow. When are you supposed to work on this junk, much less teach them to shoot a lay up?

We're playing half court man-to-man and losing. Our half-court defense is actually quite good, but we the full-court pressure is good for a big run (on turnovers) until they get up by 15 and the rules prohibit full-court pressure. One coach dropped back to a 3-1-1 half court press! The whole experience has been frustrating to say the least.

OK, I'm done venting!