All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 10:09 

I'm enjoying Don's DVD, but I'm a little uncertain if this can be picked up by a 5th grade boys team. The skip passes and the fact that a lot of the open shots are 3's seems a little daunting. I don't even like kids this age shooting that far out. Any ideas on how to implement it for this age group? Thanks!

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2017, 19:25 
Site Admin

If using with young kids, they use the threat of shooing outside to attack close outs, dribble into gaps, get the ball into the post, and so on. But they don't necessary need to shoot outside often, if ever.

To solve the skip passes, just shorten the pass. Youth defenses are less sophisticated and ideally you have the guard hide behind the D for the skip with the offense. But it's just not an option for young kids so you adjust as needed.

If you find it's taking too long for kids to learn the continuity, then just put kids in gaps and play motion. Some of the offensive concepts taught can still apply... just put kids in a 4 out 1 in, 1-3-1, or 5 out motion and let them play. I have tried every combination you can imagine and it all works. Just keep spacing, get in gaps, move the ball, and play.

Hope this helps.