All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 16:06 

You know what I'm going to say...because it's not fun anymore. I truly believe that. And yes, I did see kids quit playing once things started to heat up.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 13:05 

I think 3rd grade might but a year or two too early for AAU for anybody. I have been to some travel and AAU tournaments where I see 3rd and 4th grade teams just pressing each other up and down the floor, throwing the ball like it's a hot potato. Those games usually boil down to which team has a kid that can actually make a couple layups. It's not fun to watch.

I started my own AAU program last year. I see AAU getting bashed all the time and it aggravates me. I try to focus on player development and growth and hope that winning will come along with their growth. In my state we can't have more than two players from the same school on an AAU team once they reach 7th grade. So my philosophy is to bring players from different schools together, get them playing against higher competition, learn the game at a higher level both strategically and fundamentally and then go back to their school teams and be real leaders there. It's fun seeing players from rival schools play together in the spring and develop a friendship. It makes those road trips to the rival gym even more exciting.

Now don't get me wrong, I see a lot of AAU programs that just want to win and advertise their titles and trophies. We have encountered many teams this spring that just run set play after set play every possession instead of giving the players room to be creative and discover.

I'd say use the next year or so to research the programs available in your area and try to find one that focuses on player development and the overall experience as opposed to just trying to recruit top players and brag about their titles and their connections to college coaches.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 13:15 

I agree, I think AAU is too young for a second/3rd grader. All coaches want to win come game time, so the best players get the most touches and the rest of the bench see's little action. Which is fine as long you know that going in. Hopefully those bench kids can get the touches they need in practice.