All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 11:13 

For the last year I have been working with my 5/6th graders on 5 out/4 out. They get the motion and run it in drills but when we transition to scrimmage the offense is out the window and in games it doesn't exist. I am left to conclude that I am not teaching correctly. How to do teach young kids a new offence? How do you get them to actually run it rather than street ball? getting open for the pass seems to be the issue and teaching them to backdoor when they are over played.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2017, 06:44 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what type of motion your teaching and the rules your're using... but here are a few suggestions...

- Keep it simple and just emphasize spacing, ball movement, and taking good shots. But above all, emphasize spacing. Often times by having too many rules players get overwhelmed... simplifying usually helps. Spacing, spacing, spacing.

- We also emphasize ball movement. Which means to move (pass) the ball, players need to get open. So every time a pass is made we tell (actually we demand) players to cut or screen. When players are one pass away from the ball and you're not open, cut or screen! Even if you think you "might" be open, that means you are not open. Cut or screen! You can use this drill but to teach but much of the teaching is done if half or full court scrimmage. (Blow you're whistle and tell freeze during scrimmage ... teach them what to do when one pass away).
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/play.asp?id=437

There you go. There's the offense. When you pass, cut or screen. When you are one pass away and not open, cut or screen. Keep great spacing at all times... which means you need to move when the ball is dribbled, fill and replace players, etc. Just common sense but maybe not obvious if you aren't focused on it. Just focus on those things along with moving the ball until you get good shots. And I'm sure youth kids can handle that. And it works at all levels.

Now if you don't have players with some skill that can pass, dribble, shoot... then it won't matter what offense you run. It won't work.

And keep in mind, motion offense can be messy. But as long as you get good shots... it really doesn't matter. Ugly offense with spacing, ball movement, and good shots is just as effective as pretty offense with good shots. Not to mention, kids are "learning how to play" with some freedom.

Coaching is all about what you choose to emphasize. Constantly focus on spacing, ball movement, and good shots. Then in time the offense will improve and the "street ball" will go away.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2017, 13:32 

I like Jeff's suggestions. Too many rules can definitely make it confusing for player's learning a new offense. I'm in agreement with spacing, the more spread out you can be on a 5 out motion, the better.

I'm big on doing a few things really well, then adding layers. It's easy to run a motion offense and have it turn into kids just passing and running around. It looks sloppy and it's ineffective. The kids get bored and go back to street ball.

Just running the pass and cut portion of a motion offense (if done properly) can yield results. The key is doing a few things really well like:

* making sure the player receiving the pass pops to get open with a small V cut
* the player passing must set up their cut by jab stepping the opposite way first, then sprinting all the way to the basket
* the player who received the ball must pass to the cutter if they can see the numbers on their jersey
* remaining players fill the open spots above them.

A lot of times you see players not getting open with a V cut which can make the initial pass risky. The player passing to the wing doesn't set up their cut which makes them easy to defend, plus they aren't sprinting the cut or going all the way to the basket. The player with the ball won't pass when they see the numbers on the jersey and so on.

My point is, take one layer of a motion offense and get that down with good solid fundamentals, then move to the next layer (screens or backcuts). Each layer has rules to take the guesswork out of it for the kids. Like Jeff said, when you pass, you cut. When you cut you set it up and sprint. If you see the numbers on the jersey, you pass it to them.

Same deal with screens. Setting a sloppy screen is ineffective. Too many young players don't announce they're setting a screen and set it improperly. The player receiving the screen usually doesn't wait for the screen and takes off too early. Simple concepts, but if they're done properly, they can be extremely effective.

One suggestion is just emphasizing a few things in a game on offense. So, if your trying to run a 5 out motion, it could be as simple as setting up the cut, sprinting the cut and passing to the cutter if they can see the numbers.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 14:29 

Rather than start a new thread I wanted to continue this one even though it is nearly a year old since my problem is the same as the original poster's.

I have the same age group of girls who can run the 5-out motion in practice, but completely forget it when the ball is tipped and I am not on the court to remind them. Once the game clock starts and there is a different color jersey standing next to them they turn into statues with their hand up calling for the ball or dribbling to the right hand corner. I know a lot of it is they just need reps by scrimmaging against a live defense, but I was wondering if you have any suggestions for effective motions to get the offense started. There is a lot of good information on the drills to run on the internet and there are quick hitter plays that are either too complex or precise in their movements, but I think we just need a kick starter to get them moving when they forget to v-cut or it is not effective. One idea I had was to have the wings set down screens and have the players in the corners cut to the ball to get them and the ball moving, basically the same motion as a box in-bounds play. Does anybody else have suggestions or movements they teach to initiate the 5-out motion offense until the girls can identify the opportunities open to them?

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 15:41 
Site Admin

Here are some different ways to initiate the offense:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/7-entries.html

We just tell players, when you are 1-pass from the ball and you're covered, get open. Immediately!

This takes emphasis for a couple months. Then kids get it and you can move on to other things. And occasionally revisit when needed.

As far as how to get open... it doesn't matter. They can pop out, v-cut, basket cut so next player can fill, screen, or screen away. We teach players a couple different ways to get open and let them choose. I don't care what method they choose... just do it immediately!

One teaching point that comes up during scrimmages is we tell players that if you are not sure if you're covered or not (in other words they defender is not quite denying but sort of close)... then that means you are COVERED. Get open! This is a subtle point players need to learn.

We use drills like this:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/play.asp?id=437

And then we just scrimmage 3v3, 4v4 or 5v5 half or full court. We use the whistle and freeze command to teach. Because like you said... once defenders get there they forget to move. You need to spend most of time practicing against defense. Then when you see them one pass away, covered, and not moving... yell "freeze" and teach them by asking a question like "how many passes away are you? are you open? what are you supposed to do?"

Then in games you continually remind them... when you are one-pass from the ball make sure you get open. It just takes time and emphasis in practices and games. They will get it.