All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 13:31 

Hello! Great site - first time poster!

I'm coaching a K team in a K1 league. The opponent can't play defense beyond the top of the 3 point line in our league.

We have developed a pattern of bringing the ball up the floor, getting to the top of the 3 point line, picking up our dribble and stopping. At that point, the kids will hold the ball, have 4 teammates, slightly spread out, standing still (who aren't open or in good position for a pass) yelling for the ball. Usually, the child with the ball will telegraph where they're passing and make a really bad pass or a really long pass. We're giving the ball away, a lot, and allowing a lot of fast break points because of it.

I'm trying to figure out how to break these habits and develop the offense. I'm also trying to figure out how to assign one player to stay back, to prevent the easy transition points.

Our kids have solid fundamentals and are decent passers, so we have enough talent to do more than what we're doing at this

thanks for the help and guidance!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 16:45 

Wow! If you're playing against K-1 teams that are already executing a fast break, I'd love to see what the middle schoolers are doing in that league. I'm surprised they allowing stealing at the level. Usually leagues don't allow steals until around 3rd/4th grade.

Regardless, you need a solution. You said
Quote:
Our kids have solid fundamentals and are decent passers, so we have enough talent to do more than what we're doing at this
At that age level, I'm big on passes for two reasons. One is that allows for more ball touches for all the players (which parents and kids both like) and two, it provides a solid foundation as you move forward. So my short answer is, find as many game-like drills you can do with passing and incorporate those in your practices. The one below is good because you're giving points for passes and teaching them to move.
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/nodribblekeepaway.html

You could also reward them in practice and in a game for X amount of passes completed. You'd be surprised how well it works. I was watching an old video from our 3rd grade season and caught a piece where our team had averaged 60 passes per game. It can be done.

With regards to keeping one player back (although, I'm still amazed K1's have the skillset to charge down the court for a layup) we taught all our kids to sprint down the court when the ball changed hands. Make a game out of it and create a keyword to yell out.

In practice, tell the kids the basket is their castle and they need to defend the castle at all costs. They must stay between their player and the castle. The basketball is a giant bomb (or rock) and they need to make sure it doesn't get near their castle. You get the drift. Then set-up a drill in practice where you have the kids down trying to score, they lose the ball and you yell "Castle!" which means they should all sprint back and defend the castle. You could have them scrimmage against coaches/siblings and control the pace to give them time to get back down. If they beat the coaches/siblings back down the court, the coaching/siblings have to do 5 push-ups and bark like dogs. If the kids get beat back down the court, they have to do 5 jumping jacks barking like dogs. Make it fun, but get the point across. This should give you a keyword "castle" to use during a game. Big on keywords at this age too. I use them for lots of things and the kids know how to respond.

Hope this helps.