All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 16:45 

Hello, I purchased both Don Kelbick's DVDs - Motion Offense and Continuity Zone Offense. I will be coaching boys 7-8th grade basketball this winter and will be facing a mix of both man to man and zone defenses. I have used motion offense (5 man open post) at the 5-6th grade level where man to man was mandatory. Now that I will be facing zone defenses which offense should I use? I know motion works great against man to man, but should I use the zone continuity against zone defense and motion against man to man? thank you.

Also, Don has a low post threat in the continuity zone, but he mentions that he never uses the low post when using the motion against zone. He puts the post player in the short corner. Which is the better option?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 15:32 
Site Admin

I answered you first question here:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1905\

For your second question, it doesn't matter. Both are effective. Keep spacing, reversal the ball, and put players in gaps. There are pros and cons to both methods and if I were you I wouldn't overthink things. Keep spacing, experiment with both options and decide for yourself what you like.

If ball goes to short corner, it's a little easier to hit middle player diving to the basket. On other hand, if you have a decent post and they wait for ball to swing back to them... you can get great 1v1 post touches on the block. I don't think players should just stand on block anyway... the can move around so I'm not sure I'd pick one of the other. Just let them play.