All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 07:02 

Our league (ages 9 -12), allows pressure only in the half court.
We are having trouble entering offense when the opponent starts to pressure us and trap us a foot over the half court line and my guard panics and often can't even enter the offensive set

I am usually in a 1 - 3 - 1 set or a traditional 2 wing set with one of my slot or low block players sealing or posting to the high post or foul line.

problem is the offense looks like man to man then suddenly the team traps us in the back court creating turnover after turnover. When we get into our offense, we do OK. we just can't seem to beat the trap and the heavy back court pressure. I need help !! thanks so much ... Coach Rob from Connecticut

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 09:42 

First, you need skilled players that can beat double teams in traps. Your guards will need to make sure they can advance the ball at least 10 feet past the half court line before they attempt to get across. Sometimes you need a ball reversal or two before dribbling or passing across half court.

Skill wise, we use this and make sure all our players can beat double teams with their dribble:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/play.asp?id=66

Based on what you describe. it sounds like players just need to work on skills and that two guys are just double teaming your PG in the middle. Your PG should be able to beat that and just needs to work on skill. Change of pace, retreat dribble, in/out move, etc.

You can also just play 1v2 full court advancement in practice.