All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 12:04 

So i am 13 and 6"2. and i am looking for some tips on how to improve my offense, I am a great basketball player, also would one coach mind giving me some tips on how to improve my vertical. Any tips or answers you have for my questions will be very helpful.

Jon Bain

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 18:28 

If 2 players are guarding you, you get out of the way and let your team crush theirs 4 vs 3. See Stephen Curry and Davidson vs. Loyola (MD), Nov. 2008.

The game of basketball is about finding and then exploiting the advantage. Mission accomplished.

Keep working hard.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 10:40 

Jonathan, after coaching baseball, basketball, and track field events I have the same advice to every HS athlete I've worked with:

1. Get stronger
2. Get (more) mobile

The strength coach/trainer at your school can help you learn how to get stronger and more mobile. If not, buy a copy of Mike Boyle's New Functional Training for Sports. Mobility isn't flexibility -- mobility is being able to move through a range of motion and is crucial for all sports specific skills.

Good programs mix "power" training type movements with med balls, jumps, swings, etc. with others more focused on pure body strength. This combination will help your ability to explode and generate power which in turn will help your vertical over time.