All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 10:37 

5th grade girls travel team.

Our base offense is 5 out pass and cut or 5 out pass and screen away. We look to drive and attack and play a free flowing motion offense. This has been great for us.

But lately all we're starting to see is zone defenses. It's been a mixture of things too. A couple of the teams that we are much better than have started playing an incredibly packed in 2-3 zone. I mean, all 5 players are in the paint. They'll rotate a player out to cover a shooter, but generally they pack it in and try to completely close the lane.

We have a couple girls that are pretty decent outside shooters, but they aren't consistent enough to kill a zone yet.

I've tried to keep things simple because I don't want to overload their brains and give them too many offensive concepts to think about. We've tried a couple specific zone offenses but it just leads to indecision and us just standing around making a few perimeter passes before impatience kicks in and we make a bad turnover.

The closest thing to success we've had is to go to a 4out 1in look with passing and cutting. And we'll look into the low post for a post feed. Having the low post player has seemed to occupy at least 1 backline defender, sometimes 2 and opened things up a bit more for us.

Any advice? Tips?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2015, 13:03 
Site Admin

With 5th graders that have limited range, it will be tough against a zone that pack things in. As you mentioned, a big part of this is just an age thing. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. With that said, here are a few simple things that have worked for me against zone (while minimizing changes of our normal motion)....

- Run 4 out 1 in motion. Emphasize filling spots, cutting, and ball movement. For some reason, my players stop filling spots aggressively when we face zone. So we really have to emphasize filling spots... so you always have players about 15 ft apart and the player with the ball always has several passing options.

Our post mostly stays on the weakside looking to occasionally flash from behind the zone or wait for the ball to come around to him and then seal.

Cutters need to cut hard as a threat and then hook back toward the ball in a gap. Count to 2 and then clear out to an open spot.

- Run 5 out motion offense with short corners. Continue using the same old 5 out pass and cut motion. However move the corners into the short corner position. When you short corner you can flash and/or seal.

Hook and look in the middle after you cut
If ball goes to the middle, look to score or get the ball to short corner players
If ball goes to short corner, top player should dive
Players inside should find gaps and seal defender
Short corner players can play behind the zone and flash cut to gaps (2 seconds).

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 14:33 

Great information, thank you.