All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 00:00 

Hello,

I would like some advice for coaching my 2 and 3 grade youth basketball team. I tried to add in dribble hand offs to help with nervous players just chucking the ball somewhere close to a teammate only to have most of the passes intercepted by the defense. Also, they were not protecting the ball well and having the ball stolen from them while dribbling a lot. We have improved the ball security from a dribbling perspective with some games like shark ( dribble your ball and try to steal someone elses at the same time ), red light / green light ( just like the game, except follow all dribbling rules or go back and start over ), and a few others. But, the dribble hand offs in general has back fired since the whole team runs to the ball for a hand off. This causes the dribbler to become trapped.

So, we were thinking to do a basic motion offense. But, how do I actually teach it. We tried the other day, they were pretty confused no matter which way we tried to explain it.

And I do not think they are too young to learn this, because we have lost every game and the other teams seem to have figured something out. So, if they could do it, we certainly can also, right?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 05:32 
Site Admin

I would teach a 5 out pass and cut offense to start out with.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/cutters.html

The biggest things for you to focus on offensively are:
- spacing
- movement
- fundamental skills

That's it. The 5 out will help with that, even though it will be messy since the kids are so young. You can use spots and/or the 3 point line to help with the teaching of it.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=123

Players cut and then if they don't get the ball they fill an open spot.

Here are some articles about what I have done with my daughters team from 2nd - 4th.
http://jeffhaefner.com/coach/category/3rd-grade-basketball/
http://jeffhaefner.com/coach/category/4th-grade-basketball/

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2015, 13:58 

Thank you for that information. I have found this site useful on more than one occasion. I never played organized basketball at any level, but I played playground with many of my friends along the way that had played organized. So, I do not have the luxury of experiencing drills and such when I was younger. However, I do understand theories in basketball from playing and watching on television. So, I do understand everything that was mentioned on the site you sent for the 5 out. What is funny is that my assistant and I were discussing this the other day. There is a lot more detail and great rules on that page though that will make it easier to explain. That is always our challenge. Take everything from our heads and get it into theirs...lol.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2015, 11:26 

So, just for an update, this worked well after one practice. I always try to give them little glimpses of stuff like this because it is a little on the boring side for them. I try to spice it up, but they can only take so much. So, I started at the beginning of practice with 1 rule. You pass, you cut. That's it. Then, fill back to 5 out. They started to figure it out and filled the 5 out on their own after several reps. Then, at the end of practice, after a few more fun drills like knock out in between, I added if the cutter is covered, then fill and pass again. That passer cuts since that is still Rule #1, you pass you cut again. Basically, the pass then just came from the wing on pass #2 instead of from the top of the 3 point line.

I was going to add in rule #2 as: if the dribbler looks at you, you cut. That was one from the page also. This I believe should help when they are "stuck"...meaning they picked their dribble up, cannot move, and are too far away to shoot or are covered well and cannot shoot.

Rule #3 was going to be dribbler always wins. This is similar to your rule where they can dribble to balance the floor and to drive to the hoop. If the dribble arrives at a spot where someone else is, basically, get out of their way and let them dribble. We can work picks into this later. But, one thing at a time for now...lol.

I will try to let you know how this goes on our next practice and game in a few days.

=========
One side note also, is there something on here that shows how I can get them to create some space when they already picked their dribble up, are too far away to shoot, and the defense is smothering them. I tried working on ball security, pivoting their feet and moving the ball around, but its hard to explain sometimes. If I could get some guidance for this situation where they are being pressured and cannot dribble anymore, that would help a lot. I figure also, it should help them feel more comfortable and then they can pick their head up more to look for the cutters.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 09:08 
Site Admin

Regarding your last question, we practice pivoting on day 1 of practice for beginners. Start with front pivot. Then reverse. Then step through. Then drop step. Then sweep. Then start combining pivots. For second graders, we usually can get through front, reverse, and step through pivots during the first year. Then the following season we add more pivots when they are ready.

Next, we practice keeping the ball out of the box when defense is close to you (ball should be below your knees or above your nose). So we practice triple threat (shooting position), then long step through (aka: space step) ripping the ball below knees, then pivot back to start position (ripping ball above head). We just have everyone line up and practice these movements together.

Also, some drills you can do are:

14.7s. Players must protect the ball for 4.9 Seconds. Dribble out while closely guarded for 4.9 seconds. Then protect the ball for 4.9 seconds again. Goal is not let the defense touch the ball.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/playcreator/view.asp?id=139&type=drill

No dribble drills (3on3, 4on4, 5on5). We do a lot of teaching players to use those pivots and protect the ball in no dribble drills and no dribble keep away passing drills.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2015, 11:23 

That all sounds good. I started going over pivots 2 practices ago. Some players were ok with it. Even one of my most talented players struggled a lot with this. I noticed a lot of stiff legs while trying to pivot. This basically looked like how a robot would try to pivot.

Keeping the big picture in mind, my thinking behind it is if I am taking away the hand offs, I need to give them other solutions for the problems they will face with the 5 out. The pivots and ripping the ball high and low, along with triple threat ( which we have covered a little ), should let them feel more confident to hold on to the ball instead of just panicking and chucking it up for grabs so to say. Also with the 5 out, there will be times where they will need to hold the ball for several seconds until someone is open. In a few of our games so far, some of our players had allowed the defense to reach in and take the ball right from their hands even when they were holding it with 2 hands. So, I believe if I combine these teachings together, it should make the 5 out work a little better. I expect it to not work so good for the first few games since its new. But, even my assistant agreed that this seems like a better route to even help them in the future.

Thanks for the continued posts. Hopefully others will find this conversation useful as well. :-)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 11:49 

In watching my daughter's 3rd grade team of below average skill, they have a lot of trouble completing a pass to initiate the offense in the 5 out. The point guard getting that initial pass to the wing is a 50-50 proposition. Their coach has done a good job in teaching the wings to make some V cuts to get open, but still, a 3rd grade girl having the strength to make a pass of longer than 15 feet is pretty rare. It frustrates their poor coach to no end.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2015, 14:48 

I saw the same things which is why I went to the dribble hand off after doing research to go around some of these issues. But, I think in the end the 5 out is the way to go for us for now and live with the turnovers for now. They will be better off in their development later. It won't look as good as some of the other teams now, but if they gel, there is the potential of us being very good by season's end. Some of the other teams are basically letting one or two kids do most of the dribbling also. I let all 8. I want them all to develop. I think that may also be why we are losing a lot. But, I am concerned about all our team, not just the best one or two players.

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2015, 20:41 

After our latest game using our 5 out, the offense ran better. We still have a lot of improving to do, but that is ok. There was more spacing on the floor. However, as the game went on, our offense got sloppier and we reverted back to old habits. This tells me that the 5 out will work for us, it will just take more practicing to lock it in so its automatic.

I also noticed that some players struggle with ball security through travelling, double dribbles, and turnovers. No matter what offense is ran, if the point guards can not comfortably hold on to the ball at the top, any coaching adjustments I make are irrevant at that point. We may make some adjustments with who runs the point with the better dribblers. then, I can teach them to slow down on offense and set up the 5 out. Wish us luck!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 12:48 

In regards to the problems getting that first pass to the wing to initiate the offense, I've found that starting in a 3 out 2 in set, then having the two wings set down screens for the 2 blocks really opens up the initial pass. After setting the down screen, the screener just pops out the corner and now you're in 5out.

Another option is to start in 5out, but as the point guard is advancing the ball up the floor the two wings run automatic basket cuts and the corner players fill up to the wings. This gets movement started and those players filling to the wings are generally open. And if the first wing defender is sleeping you get a wide open cutter for a layup without even having to run any pass and cut offense.