All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 18:40 

We have two more weeks left in the season and we've had a great run. 4th grade girls in their first season as a travel team. 14-10 record so far. Four tournaments, 3 times runner-up, 1 time champion.

We have a couple girls that are beginning to really be able to shoot with some consistency and a couple girls that are able to get the basket a little more effectively. Last weekend we had a nice lead and I gave my daughter permission to take a three if she was open and she drained one right in front of our bench. She's got a tall body, long arms and legs, but no meat to her. Her first step off the dribble can really create space, but with her lack of strength, she struggles to score on drives. We'll work on toughness for next season, but I'm wondering if there are certain set plays or patterened offenses that you would recommend for a team with a couple decent shooters, a pretty nice post player (she can play high or low post) and a couple of girls that are starting to understand how to initiate an offense.

We've gone between 4out and 5out motion, pass and cut this year. I've also added a couple easy set calls (Horns for a pick and roll and a 3out-2in look to get our post player the ball on a quick hit). We also have a 1-3-1 zone offense we've been using lately against 2-3 zones and sometimes against a halfcourt trap. Their understanding of how and why we're doing these different things has really improved of late, so I'm looking forward to continuing with them next season and building upon the great foundation we've put in place.

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2014, 18:46 

Do what you do best coach... get them ready to play at the next level and work on fundamentals as much as you can. Success is a by product of a fundamentaly sound teram. Keep it simple for them. If they are unsure of themselves, they will have slow feet.