All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 07:34 

Hey coaches
I have 4th graders and run basic pass and cut motion. We tell the kids our goal is to make lay-ups, and attack short corners. I notice a lot of coaches designate the numbers to the players. When do you recommend I begin to teach what the 4 guy or 2 guy is supposed to do? Right now we have them all playing a all positions. We mostly use a 4 out set (works best against the zones we face), with the one running baseline looking to flash from opposite the ball.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 08:35 
Site Admin

I don't think there is a right or wrong time. I think most coaches use numbers because that's what their coach did when they played. I think positions and numbers can be overused, especially for youth teams.

I only use numbers so players know where to go in transition offense, where to go on press breaker, and who should bring in the ball. We use them from 3rd - 12th grade. However as they get older we change our break to if your ahead of the ball and a guard you sprint to the corner. So the numbers are not really important in transition.

At the younger levels, I think it's important to let all players play all positions. Who knows where they will be when they get older. And I like offenses where kids play all positions. So in the half court number don't usually mean much for us. They only apply to transition so we can get the offense started quickly.

Not sure if that helps answer your question?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 09:22 

JeffHaefner wrote:
At the younger levels, I think it's important to let all players play all positions. Who knows where they will be when they get older. And I like offenses where kids play all positions. So in the half court number don't usually mean much for us. They only apply to transition so we can get the offense started quickly.

Jeff stole my thunder. :-)

At this age kids should be able to play every position... an old saing, " the center of today might be the point guard of tomorrow. "

Thats why we ran an open post offense... taught everyone on the team how to handle the ball, read defenses, get open and make good passes to the correct person. I think your goals are good... just for those reasons. I wouldn't worry about numbers at this age.

By the way, its a shame that they are allowing them to play zones at this age. Good luck and have fun with them.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2014, 18:57 

I will just leave the numbers out for now. I hate the zones but we deal with it as best we can. Our kids are starting to read them, and learn how to beat them. we just had our 'breakout game '. It was so satisfying to watch them put it all together for a whole game. Our hard work is starting to show results. We put up 36 points vs a 2-1-2 zone and only gave up 16 with our man defense. I'm so proud of them. Your philosophy for youth coaching on this site is spot on, especially the defense Thanks

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 08:34 

Tj -

Glad to hear that things are working out well for you and your team. Maybe you will be teaching the other coaches a valuable lesson.... and that is TEACHING M2M DEFENSE.

Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2014, 11:08 

Thanks coach Sar
I appreciate all the replies.