All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 22:21 

I have two 8 year old boys teams of players of varying skill level. I'm trying to figure out how to get them to get open a little better during games. I understand that drills to work on body movement will help their body movement. But what specific coaching can I give them for game time to help them create opportunities to make baskets or at least move the ball around? It needs to be something very simple, obviously, at this age.

Would giving them positions (like 1,2,3,4,5) help them at least start their offense a little more spread out? Or does that just confuse them more?

I've tried working on getting them to cut and spread out but they still just seem to all freeze and look at the player with the ball. Or worse, run up to the player to get the ball. :)

I know at this age I shouldn't complicate things and I don't want to. But I'd love to get some tips on how to get the players to keep moving, cut and get open in their offense.

I'll keep working the fundamentals. :)

Cheers, Kayvaan

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 23:48 

A recent thread that might help:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1312&p=8262&hilit=offense+for+3rd+graders#p8262

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 00:27 

Thanks, Coach Rob. That's a great thread.

Do you know what a 5on0 pass and cut drill is? Is it this? http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/basicspacingdrill.html

Thx.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 23:30 

Maybe try teaching them strong side / weak side. When the ball comes to your side, then you switch places with the players on the weak side. You're hoping there is enough confusion that the defense looses their man during the switch (kind of like a pseudo screen). It is a difficult age group. Good luck.