All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 14:25 

Hi Coaches
We have been running a 5-out pass + cut motion with our 4th grade cyo team. Unfortunately we play vs mostly zone defense teams. Had a problem with the ball ending up in the corner so I switch the kids to a 4-out same rules except we have a player run baseline and look to flash to dead spots from opposite the ball. That is working nicely and teaching them to find the holes in the zone. We are doing good vs 2-3 zone, (2-3 / 2-1-2 are the zones of choice in our league). Funny thing I just noticed is that all of the games we lost are vs teams that use the 2-1-2 (they pack it in ). I am really on our kids about ball reversal and back door cuts when they overplay. We move the ball ok but this particular defense is tough on this age group. Anything else you guys would add that might help. BTW I got the defense dvd and the skills dvd, both great really helping me with the team.Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 16:01 

Its a shame that they allow them to play a zone.... they pack it in and typically 4th graders are not good outide shooters and thats why they are doing it. They want the W. Just be patient and have your kids attack the gaps and then find the open man.... NOT easy for kids of that age.

I like the idea of someone running the baseline... keep him behind the zone so he can step to an open area when they aren't looking. They will have to turn thier heads to find him and that should give him the advantage of stepping into an open area.

You could screen a player at the top of t he zone and dribble off of him.... turn in and look to score or find the player on the baseline if the bottom defender comes out on him.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 17:15 

Thanks coach Sar
I also have them bump the baseline defender then move away. We have been working on a double screen off the wing. I keep telling them there will come a day when the tactics won't work against us. They are coming along nicely and we see improvement with each game. Thanks again for the replies they are very helpful

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 18:43 

Glad to hear that they are improving.... good for the kids and it doesn't hurt your approach either.

Keep up the good work, I hope the kids are having fun/

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 11:46 

Bummer about the zones at the 4th grade level. I was sad to see our high school freshman playing a zone this year after I'd worked with my guys to play solid M2M defense for years. Such is life on the court sometimes.

Your player running baseline, have you ever thought of letting them run short corner to short corner? Against 2-3 zones I like a 1-3-1 set, you might check that out online just as another option when you run into 2-3 zones.

Every once in a while if we ran into a team that insisted on playing a 2-3 zone the entire game and we had a lead of 6 pts, I'd stall a bit up high to pull them out of the zone. We'd pull our guys up high and wide leaving one down low on the blocks, then just pass the ball for a bit. Some teams would pull out of the zone completely and start playing M2M. Not suggesting this as a regular practice, just now and then, esp later in a game.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2014, 16:26 

Hey Coach Rob
I tell them to go to bottom defender,bump him then go back to other side bump that defender, then look to flash to dead spots. We puts spots on the floor in practice to simulate the zone configurations and that seemed to help. I like your idea for pulling the ball out, sad thing is the coaches tell them to just stand there. I had my point guard dribble up to 3pt line ,pick it up and the defenders just stood there looking at him.Its amazing what coaches will do to win. I will have them focus more on the short corners in tomorrows game. Thanks for the replies always looking for ways to help the kids get better.