All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 11:11 

We have a group of 1st and 2nd graders, they are a pretty athletic bunch and I am looking for a good pattern/continuity offense for them to run. We only get to practice once per week and the defense has to play man to man. I wanted to keep it pretty simple for the boys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 14:23 

I've never worked with this age group but in my opinion... the last thing I would try to do is to try and teach them a patterned offense. 4 out / pass and cut. Keep this as simple as you can.... there is so much to teach them and the bottom line is .... MAKE SURE ITS FUN.

JMO

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 15:51 

My personal opinion is 1st/2nd graders aren't ready for a patterned offense yet. You could try a simple pass and cut like Coach Sar mentioned. Take a look at the side bar under Offense and check out the Motion Offense section, but I don't think 1st/2nd graders could deal with the filling part of that.

Back when I coached 1st/2nd, we emphasized the number of passes on offense for two reasons: 1) to make sure all the kids were getting ball touches and 2) to keep one or two kids from constantly hogging the ball.

You'll have to determine how much they can handle. In the end, I would try and get those ball touches spread around as much as possible.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2013, 23:10 

I agree with Coach Rob, these kids are a little young for a patterned offense...however, with that being said, I used to run a "three rule motion"..first rule: Always pass and screen away, Second Rule: Clostest to the ball, screen away...Third rule: Post up for a 1000 and 1 then screen across. This way, the kids have rules to follow, the floor is always balanced, and they have ample opportunity for curls, cross screen, back screens and good movement. Be patient, as they will make multiple mistakes, they will forget sometimes but once they get it....it is quite good.and highly effedctive. Coach Mac

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 05:30 
Site Admin

Last year I coached my daughters 2nd grade team. We only played 3on3 and just had a couple simple rules (spacing, pass and move, if you're covered move to get open).

This year as 3rd graders I created an offense for them (pass and cut type of offense) that works for 3on3, 4on4, and 5on5. It was important for the offense to be simple and also flexible to work with 3, 4, or 5 players. Here's a PDF of the offense:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/half%20court%20offense%20-%203rd%20grade%20girls.pdf

Hopefully it makes sense. Here's a shortened explanation of the basic offense:

Half Court Offense Rules

1. Maintain 10-12' spacing between players.

2. When you pass the ball, basket cut. After the basket cut is made, fill the open spot along the baseline.

3. If you're covered and the player with the ball looks at you, either "hit and blast" or "back door cut to the basket".

4. Rebound. Weakside player must get in rebounding position on EVERY shot. Anticipate.

Teaching Points

• All cuts are finished at the rim.

• Passer must watch the cutter all the way though.

• When replacing the cutter, wait until the player with the ball is about done looking at the cutter.

• When you catch the ball, face the basket in triple threat position.

• Look for dribble drive opportunities.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2013, 05:43 

Jeff: Your daughterr is only 2nd grade? for some reason.....I thought you were older.....Coach Mac...lol

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 08:49 
Site Admin

Thanks Coach Mac... I think? :)

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2013, 17:51 

Jeff: It is because you are wise beyond your years....Coach Mac