All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 09:15 

I have a 4th grade team and they are good players. I want to use motion offense but am unsure what they are capable of at this age. We run set play now and we score occasionally. But we mostly score by shooting and rebounding. I have 1.5 hours of practice a week and a game on Saturdays. I really hate teaching set plays but it seems everyone else plays that way at this age. What do you suggest I do with my team?

Regards,
Tory

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 14:15 

Tory,
Thats not a lot of time to practice and get anything done..... whatever you are doing... keep it simple.... maybe pass and cut type of motion and a set play here and there.
Work on fundamentals and teach them how to play the game the best you can in 1.5 hours... and let them have fun.

Ken

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 22:26 

What I have found at that age is they can basically execute the first pass and/or cut of a set play. Then everything breaks down or the can't remember what to do.

I would go with a motion offense with very limited rules. Here is what my plans are for the same age group.

Start with a 5 out set. 5 basic rules:

1) Take the open shot.
2) Look to penitrate.
3) If the ball is dribbled at you, cut backdoor to the basket.
4) After you pass, cut to the basket, then look to screen.
5) Don't stand still -- fill the open spots.

Hopefully they can remember these 5 rules.

Then you can run some "patterns" off the set and within the rules. For example, I plan on starting with a simple dribble to the wing (thus, no pass) with the wing cutting to the basket per rule 3. The point can then look to pass on the back door cut or to the cut off the screen. You can also add a "guard arround" or a pick and roll.

IF they pick this up pretty well, you can have them start the motion with a few set screens. I use a number system 1-5 with "24" being a downscreen 2 screening for 4. or a "53" being 5 backscreening for 3. Etc.

You can implement this over the season, starting basic and getting more advanced as they get a better understanding. We'll see how well it goes for us. Good luck.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 12:21 

Tory,

Take a look at 5-out open post offense. It's easy to teach, even with limit time like in your situation. This offense teaches young players to work together and get a open shot or lay-up.

* rotations are easy to understand
* make basket cut after your pass
* good offensive spacing
* no screens, only cuts
* players learn to read the defense
* add ons: dribble penetration and kick

Good luck

Coach Sander

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 13:43 
Site Admin

Along with these great suggestions form the coaches here, you may want to read these articles:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/o ... tball.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/o ... tters.html

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/b ... -offenses/

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 12:34 

Tory,

One of the best things that I have done as a coach has been to introduce the players to rules one at a time. We may literally have a motion offense by the end of the year with only three rules, but they have been drilled with those rules and they know them well.

Something else that is simple but effective is to start your motion with the following rules...

1. All passes are made using overhead passes
2. You cannot shoot until three passes are made
3. Two players cannot be in the same area at the same time

I think that by using this and letting the kids play and learn how to move without and with a basketball on their own you will do just fine. We have used these rules combined with fundamental drills and I feel like the kids are learning how to play basketball, not just when do I stand at point A and move to point B.

Coach Lerch

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 12:36 

By the way, we practice from 3:00-4:30, and this type of offense seems to work well with a short amount of time. Any other questions about practicing on a short timeframe let me know!

Coach Lerch