All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 11:57 

Does anybody have any experience using the Michigan motion offense?

I like the 5 Out motion because of the open style and the aspect of being able to dribble penetrate and attack the basket.

But I also like the 3-2 Michigan style on this website with the post players screening for each other when the ball is on the wing. And I am a fan of the pass and screen away to get the curl into the lane.

I think the screen away and curl would still be there in a 5 out set, but I can also see getting some very nice looks in the post with the post players screening for each other. And the 3-2 set would be nice to already be familiar with for when we see a zone D. Work the ball on the perimeter, looking for gaps and having the post players working high low on the ball side with X action once the ball is reversed.

Overall, I think you end up teaching the same skills and fundamentals to the kids regardless of which of these two sets you choose so that's a plus.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 12:19 
Site Admin

I rarely use this 3 out 2 in motion because I think it clogs up the middle too much... taking away driving lanes, etc. But if I did run it, I would have my inside players go to the high post and short corner a lot to open up the basket. With that said, If I had superstar post players I might let them in the block.

But with young kids, we do not assign post players. I want kids learning all positions because you never know where they'll be when they grow up.

I have run the 5out and 4out using screen away with a lot of success. If kids execute fundamentally sound screens (setting them up, etc) then it works really good. At first it's just teaching them to curl and have the screener be a second cutter finding an open spot (usually on the perimeter). But eventually teach them to read away screens (turn down the screen, curl, flare/fade, or pop out).

We usually run 4 out 1 in. And then switch to 3 out 2 in when facing zone. Put 3 players in perim working together. And 1 middle guy and short corner player working together. They seem to pick it up easily and just "play".

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 12:48 

I will be coaching a 4th grade girls travel team (if we get enough players). If not I'll be involved with a rec team for 4-5-6 grade girls and possibly 5-6 grade boys.

In a 5 out set, would you bring the 4 and 5 into the short corner instead of the deep corner behind the 3 point line? This way they are in closer jump shot range if they receive a kickout off penetration.

I think I might start in a 5 out set and incorporate the screen away action up top and down low.
- Point passes to Wing, and screens for opposite Wing. Opposite wing looks to curl the screen into the paint.
- At the same time, the low players, positioned in the short corner, perform screen away action. The opposite wing coming across to the ballside short corner.

I've struggled to actually make an entry pass to the wing to initiate the offense in the past with my youth teams. For some reason once we face a live defense that pass gets intercepted and/or thrown late/poorly with bad timing, etc. One thing I'm considering is having the Point get things going with a dribble entry to the wing. That wing would then go screen away for the opposite wing.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2013, 13:24 
Site Admin

If you're having trouble getting the ball entered, welcome to the world of youth basketball. I think everyone has that problem.

For the 5 out, you could start with cuts only:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/cutters.html

If I'm limited on time, I start with that. If I have more time I could see starting with screen away. I don't think it matters too much.

Against man to man, I would not bring my bottom players to the short corner. Spacing is the most important thing and the reason the 5 out works so well. Keep things spread out. That will open up driving lanes and back door passes. With some patience, the help side defense always loses discipline and you start getting open lanes to drive and lay ups off the pass.

Rules for the 5 out are simple:

- When you pass, go screen away or basket cut. At this age, would just choose one (either cut or screen away).
- If you are covered and the person with the ball looks at you, go screen away or basket cut.

It's explained on the link above.

BTW, when trying to enter to the wing. Just follow the rules... If you are covered and the person with the ball looks at you, go screen away or basket cut. Usually the person filling is open. But they must wait and then bust up to the wing hard.

Players just need to get the offense started. Might take one of two cuts, but the will get open. Just takes a little practice.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 07:00 
Site Admin

Here is what I have done with some of my youth teams to get the offense started.

Start in a 3 out, 2in. Have the two post players set back screens for the two wing players. Wing players cut to the block looking for the pass if they are open. If they do not receive the ball when they reach the basket, they cut to the corner.

After the screen, the post players pop to the wing. This is typically open. Now, you are in your 5 out offense.

If you do not want your post players getting the first pass 20 feet from the basket, have your wings start on the block and set the back screen.

I also have set a high ball screen or a double high ball screen (Horns or A-set) to loosen up the defense. These are very simple things to teach that you shouldn't have to spend more than a few minutes on.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 07:31 

All good stuff guys ... the back screens should work and if they don't give reverse help you will have a lob for a lay up.
We did that vs teams the applied a lot of pressure.... and yes, the dribble entry works well.

You can teach you wings to go to the block and then make their cuts to the wing from different spots ... from the block, mid post, and the L. We also taught our players to freeze the defender before making the cut... and give a good hand target letting the player with the ball know you are ready for the pass.

Got this tio from Jeff Bzdelik - for the person waiting for the pass... how do you know the player is ready to make the pass? He brings his other hand to the ball..... unless you allow them to make one handed passes.