All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 16:49 

I am running a five out pass & cut motion with 1st yr travel team. They are doing really good with it but we play vs mostly zone defenses and getting the ball to the cutter is giving them trouble. My assistant coach is frusrated but I say that they pass and move so well we should stay the course and as they get older and develop the passing skills to get it to the cutters the zones we play against will not be able to defend us. Any advice from the coaches.We have five 3rd graders and 5 4th graders and I am the coach that plays them all win or lose. We also play mtm so it gets a bit frustrating.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2013, 20:41 

Tj -

Congratulations for teaching these kids how to play the game, m2m defense and a 5 out motion offense.

I will just throw a few thoughts out to you.... the hardest teams to defend are the ones that REVERSE the ball... so that is one thought for you.... the other is something I love, picked it up from a college coach, wish I could remember his name. When I asked him about attacking zones, he told me this... " Coach, it aint rocket science, PUT EM WHERE THEY AINT. "

Tell your kids to get into the gaps so someone can pass them the ball.

Remind your assistant that the goal for you guys should be to teach them the fundamentals and how to play the game..... and the #1 goal for them tis to have FUN. Its not about the Ws! Stick to your guns Tj

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 07:32 

Thanks coach I will . I don't think my assistant understands that improvement comes in tiny steps at this age.I'll have them adjust the cuts and see if that helps. We are very limited in gym time but the kids are sponges at this age and I am amazed at how they learn if you teach them the right things.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 07:40 

Good luck Jt - remind your asst. that these are young kids, and they learn in mini steps... especially IF you don't have a lot of gyp time. Another SARsim "Teach them the right thing and that lasts forever - teach them the wrong way and it takes forever to correct."

Let us know how your adjustments are working for you.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 07:56 

I will. FYI I am coaching this group of kids with the intent of staying with them til highschool. I firmly beleive in what you guys preach on this site.I have the mtm and motion offense products I got off this site and that is what I am building this team around. The journey has begun and it will be interesting to see how good these kids can be in six years. Thanks again

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 08:42 

Tj -

It is a JOURNEY...... and your payoff will be when you get to see them play HS ball. Teach them a lot of fundamentals... teachiing them how to play m2m D is great.... that will put them ahead of a lot of kids their age... motion offense teaches them how to play the game. As they get a little stronger, teach them how to shoot correctly.... its probably tough right now.... but I can tell you this from watching a lot of HS games today...... every coach is looking for SHOOTERS.

Good luck

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 09:09 
Site Admin

TJ, we have a local youth club in town where I've conversed with the coach quite often. His teams are usually either the best or second best in the city and do very well in regional tournaments. Depending on the group of kids, they even win national tournaments.

He told me that he rarely spends time on teaching zone offense and doesn't spend any time teaching zone defense. He thinks that it deters away from other things he's trying to teach the kids. Things like fundamentals and man to man defense that will help them the most in the long run. He said he'd rather have better ball handlers and shooters because that's what beats zone defenses.

He runs a simple dribble attack and cut offense and half-court tough man to man defense.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 09:36 

how does he run his dribble attack. I tell my kids attck the rim 1st and they get tripled teamed. Its just the age group I guess. I also tell them I don't care if it takes 87 passes to break the zone just keep on passing and moving and you will get easy shots. Most coaches in this league play zone and the few that play man decide zones are a good idea when you can't win with man. I have had a couple teams start out in man against us but they can't defend our motion so as soon as they get down by 5 or 6 pts its a 30 second time out and back to zone. As frustrating as it is at times I can't wait to play these guys in 8th grade.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 12:22 

Dribble attack is same as dribble drive. One thing I tell my kids is when you dribble, it's either to the nail or the low block. Tough at your age group b/c of what you mentioned with the triple team.

You mentioned 8th grade, I can tell you that all the top teams play M2M. No zones and their M2M defenses are solid with a lot of pressure. Best advice I can give you (especially if you're going to keep this group) is keep hammering away at good M2M defense principles. It will pay off is ways you can't even imagine down the road.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2013, 13:46 

we will stay 100% man to man, I will keep reinforcing attack. Thanks for the replies all advice is greatly appreciated