All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 13:47 
Site Admin

I'm feeling left out so I'll add a comment to the thread...

If you have players that can shoot, pass accurately, beat defenders off the dribble, finish near the basket, post up, and have good all around skill, any zone defense is easy to beat. If you don't have players like that, you're screwed.

Once you have skilled players, everything is easy and doesn't really matter what offense you run. Offense is just spacing, player movement, ball movement, getting the ball near the basket, and taking good shots.

With our freshman and soph team this year we didn't practice zone offense either. Walked through a couple concepts (pass fakes, ball reversals, and finding gaps). But that's it. Never practice zone offense live. Didn't need to because I was lucky and had good skilled players. Freshman went 19-0 and sophs went 13-7. Not bad for never practicing or running zone in practice at all. No plays either.... other than inbounds plays. Good group of kids.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2013, 14:34 

Jeff -

JeffHaefner wrote:
If you have players that can shoot, pass accurately, beat defenders off the dribble, finish near the basket, post up, and have good all around skill, any zone defense is easy to beat. If you don't have players like that, you're screwed.

IF I had players like that all the time I'd be in the Hall of Fame. My best record as a Sophoomre coach wsa 19-2, lost the two games by a total of 4 points - got hosed in one game... didn't shoot a FT until the last 5 seconds of the game.... the other one, we plain out lost it. That 19-2 record still stands.

Obciously you did a great job of coaching - keep up the good work. By the way, we wouldn't want you to feel left out! LOL