All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 07:56 

We're trying the 5 out, pass and cut offense. Our issue is getting the ball across half court. Our league does not allow defending until half court is crossed. Our 5 usually inbounds. Should we have her stay in the back court and give/go across, or have the 2 and or 3 pop back for a give/go?

Thanks,
Ken

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 10:59 

KEN -

Since all the kids have to play every position.... I wouldn't see anything wrong with your 5 and initiating your offense... do whatever works for your team.

I ran an open post offense at the high school level and there were many times my 4 or 5 were at the top.... helps to alleviate pressure. Their bigs don't like playing D that far away from the basket..... just a thought. Give it a try and see how it works... you can always adjust.

Maine goal here should be for them to have FUN and learn some skills.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 11:55 

What's happening now to prevent you from getting it across half court?

A give and go would probably work, if you can execute it. I'd probably spread out the court to create more room and try to cross half court with a good pass. Take two players out wide maybe FT extended, one at the top of key and have the other guard as a safety valve staying in the back court with guard bringing it up. You could have the ballside wing and the top of key player flash up to receive a pass. The player's flashing up would have to really hustle though.

Working on some type of simple consistent "this is how we get it across half court" routine in practice will also help. Just like beating a press, if your girls know when/where to go, it will help reduce the panic.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 17:04 

Our 5 throws the ball into the 1, who brings the ball down. Should I use the 2 or 3? I've used the 5 so she could hustle down into position (around the 3 pt line and in line with the block) and had the 2 & 3 focus on getting into position so they could cut back for a pass. I'm open to any changes.

We are asked to rotate the kids through the positions, but with 11 girls at various abilitities, it is difficult to not only get playing time, but make sure they get time at each position. I have one athlete with good vison, aggression and is not afraid to pass, but is also happy with picking off a pass and taking it full court for an a shot. I have 2-3 more with decent ability, but lack vision. The rest are mostly first year players. I've been alternating squads of 5 each quarter, with two kids splitting a quarter. 9 get two quarters, and 2 get one and a half. When kids are at the one and have difficulty getting the ball down the courrt, I will switch positions before they get too frustrated. If I can get help with an easy play or guidleline to help them be more successful at getting the ball across, I think that would be a huge step for us all.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013, 18:32 

Still need more specifics on why it's hard to get the ball across half court? Is the defense waiting right at half court and your #1 can't dribble across? If so, I would get the ball across by having the dribbler pass to someone flashing up as she approached half court. Have two players waiting, one on ball side free throw line extended and another at the top of the key. When your dribbler approaches half court, your two players fake the opposite way and then flash towards the ball. If you keep another player in the back court with your #1, she can pass to her as a safety valve and that player can dribble across.

One thing that might help you is have a 3 on 3 scrimmage 1/2 court with no dribbling allowed, just passing. This will force the girls to really get open and come meet the ball on passes. This might help with getting the ball across half court also. Emphasize that they really need to sprint towards the passer showing hands to receive a pass. A lot of times 3/4 graders stay with their defender for some reason.

With regards to your subs and different talent levels, that comes with the territory in 3/4 rec level basketball. If your coaching philosophy is to try and get the girls good playing time, teach them fundamentals, and above all make sure they're having FUN, you're on the right track. Relax a bit on your expectations, come up with some goofy team cheers, and give plenty of high fives.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 13:46 

Sorry! Yes, the majority of the kids slow to a stop and either pick up the ball, or turn away from their defender, get stuck, then make a wild pass. That happens at any point on the court, but we get most our turnovers at half court.

With the players waiting to flash, what is the "opposite way?" Away from each other, towards the basket,...? We've been talking about v-cuts, so this sounds like a great point to add your strategy.

We play 3v3 then 5v5 no passing once a week, but so far the 3v3 has been using a half court, but moving in a full court fashion and using: the side baskets, passing to a player in an end zone or passing into a key-sized space with players encouraged to cut in and out of the space. We also give an extra point for 5 passes or everyone touching the ball. Should I switch to half court only? We often start our full court scrimmages with no passing. They still tend to swarm the ball at first, but it is amazing how the passing only game gets kids to start finding open space with very little coaching.

Sound like I'm mostly on rack with my expectations. 75% of our practices are fundamentals with progressions into fun/challenge games that emphasize the skills/concepts of the day. I realize team concepts are difficult to teach, but hope that by the end of the year, most have come away with some understanding of how to apply individual skills into team play.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 00:51 

kbergren wrote:
Sorry! Yes, the majority of the kids slow to a stop and either pick up the ball, or turn away from their defender, get stuck, then make a wild pass. That happens at any point on the court, but we get most our turnovers at half court.
Got it. I was thinking they could make the pass right before they cross half court. They still have that "invisible electric fence" to protect them from the defense until they cross half court. The players receiving the pass will need to sprint towards the person who brought the ball up when she's ready to pass. I realize at this age it's tough for the dribbler to have their head up and the other players to time it perfectly. Another option is to have someone set a screen for the dribbler right at half court. Don't know if they're learning about screens yet though.

Quote:
With the players waiting to flash, what is the "opposite way?" Away from each other, towards the basket,...?
Let's say they are going to flash (cut) towards the dribbler at half court. They would take their defender towards the basket for a step, then cut hard to the dribbler to receive pass. We used to teach them to "trick" their defender into thinking they were going low and then pop back up high. Same concept as the V cut. It just helps them to shake the defender a bit.

Quote:
We play 3v3 then 5v5 no passing once a week, but so far the 3v3 has been using a half court, but moving in a full court fashion and using: the side baskets, passing to a player in an end zone or passing into a key-sized space with players encouraged to cut in and out of the space. We also give an extra point for 5 passes or everyone touching the ball. Should I switch to half court only? We often start our full court scrimmages with no passing. They still tend to swarm the ball at first, but it is amazing how the passing only game gets kids to start finding open space with very little coaching.
The main reason I'd switch to half court is you get more potential passes in a game-like environment. I also prefer 3v3 instead of 5v5 because it allows more room to move, spacing and more opportunities for ball touches.

Quote:
Sound like I'm mostly on rack with my expectations. 75% of our practices are fundamentals with progressions into fun/challenge games that emphasize the skills/concepts of the day. I realize team concepts are difficult to teach, but hope that by the end of the year, most have come away with some understanding of how to apply individual skills into team play.
Sounds like you're doing a great job with these girls. If you really want those passes kicked up a notch, go to a dollar store and buy something cheap for all the girls. Put it in a bag and tell them they get what's in the bag if they can complete X amount of good passes in the next game. You'd be surprised how many passes they'll be able to do.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 10:03 

Let me throw in a couple of more things..... FIRST OF ALL...are thry trapping you or just putting on pressure? ( I think its ridiculous that they are allowing trapping with this age group.... )

When we were receiving half court pressure ( or traps) we would play a cat and mouse game with them... we would enter the ball to a guard... then attack the half court line to one side... then stop and reverse the ball quickly..... by attacking one side you get the defense to commit to that side.... the reversal gives you some time to look for options... like Rob said... flash from the opposite side to the middle utilizing a V cut... look for that pass or you can attack the basket with a dribble.... passing to the middle is better. IF you can make that pass, the girl in the middle needs to pitvot and face the basket to see who is open..pass to either wing who should be cutting to the blocks..... she can also attack the basket.

Good luck and God Bless you for working with this age group.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 14:05 

The defenders are waiting for us at half court. Part of the issue is that 2/3 would either hold up at half court, or flash back and bring thier defender. We also have issues with the 5 being the designated inbounder and her defender being near half court as well. We're stressing to the the kids to get into the 5 out positions, then have the 2/3 v-cut and flash back to, or across half court to help with a pass. Would some of our issue of halfcourt congestion clear up if we went to having the 2 for inbounding?

Quote:
When we were receiving half court pressure ( or traps) we would play a cat and mouse game with them... we would enter the ball to a guard... then attack the half court line to one side... then stop and reverse the ball quickly..... by attacking one side you get the defense to commit to that side.... the reversal gives you some time to look for options... like Rob said... flash from the opposite side to the middle utilizing a V cut... look for that pass or you can attack the basket with a dribble.... passing to the middle is better. IF you can make that pass, the girl in the middle needs to pitvot and face the basket to see who is open..pass to either wing who should be cutting to the blocks..... she can also attack the basket.

Apologies--without x's and o's, I'm having a hard time visualizing your suggestions. When you say attack one side and reverse, does that mean before crossing half court, the 1 dribbles to one side then quickly changes directions towards the middle, or passes to someone in the middle (top of the key, or just across the half ourt line?)

Thanks,
Ken

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 14:23 

I know, I hate when people try to explain things on papaer without a diagram....

OK ....1- #1 attacks one sideline and stop before crossing half court (defense will react and come to that side)

2- Reverse the ball to another player (#2) on the opposite side of the court who will look to pass the ball to the middle to a player flashing from the other side.

3- Players on #1s side will V cut and flash to the middle....

4- Another option is that #2 can dribble to the middle or just plain beat her defender

I hope this makes what I wrote before clearer.

Quote: