All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 14:13 

Coaching 4-6 grade girls this season.

Does anybody have any simple suggestions for an out of bounds play to produce an easy basket.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 14:19 
Site Admin

I like these because they are simple and effective. I might pick two and have the girls alternate the play each time to keep the defense guessing. If you execute the screens and cuts, they work well.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/plays/baseline-box-plays.html

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 18:41 

Really like Box 1 in Jeff's example. #5 can get an easy shot off if you teach them to seal the person they screen. Another option is a stack play ball side. #2 in stack taps #1 on side they are going, #1 goes opposite way. #3 in sstack comes straight forward, #4 pops out as safety. Usually #3 gets open for an easy shot. Better to line up stack higher up, so #1 pos in stack should be at least on low block or a bit higher.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 17:34 

I had a play that my girls loved that was easy to remember - (they are 9), called the huddle. They would be in a diamond formation with the smallest best shooter on the outside corner. They would put their arms around each other like they were in a football huddle. When the girl yells break the tiny one goes under the arms of the other girls and cuts to the hoop. They then let go of each other and step away from each other...Is this play legal? I had a ref tell the girls they could not run this play. No one I asked really knows....

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 17:58 

I agree with Jeff.... pick out one or two simple plays and run them until they can do it in their sleep.

gamblegp -

I think that play is illegal because your girls are holding onto each other which wont allow the defenders to go between them.... You could still run the play without the girls holding onto each other.... you could always have the hoop like they are Indians and then break when you want them to. We ran something similar to that..... 4 guys running in a circle hooping it up... and then 3 of them broke to the ball... the 4th went to the back side of the rim for a lob.... the pass was bad so the play didn't work. Only ran it once.

Use the KISS method for young kids.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 18:05 

Figures! It was really fun to watch though!

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2012, 15:03 

I really like the plays from the link. Thanks coach!

Right now we are running plays 1 and 2. I've taken to just calling them UP or SIDE. And I'm able to signal the play into the girls with my thumb pointed up or to the side. Inbounds plays can become a bit predictable once you get into the season, so I'm hoping the hand signal without me having to yell the play call will help combat that.

In our first game this season we got to a baseline out of bounds situation and the girls all looked to the sideline, saw me signal UP and we ran it for a layup. Pretty simple and effective.