All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 13:43 

I really enjoy this site -- certainly have learned a lot from it and from some of the DVDs.

Some background. My team is a a group of rising 6th grade boys. This past year we have been using a 4 out 1 in basic basket cut and replace motion offense. Our other offense involves the outside players picking away after they pass for another perimeter player. I have yet to be able to integrate the two successfully so that the kids can make reads of the defense and have a choice of those options after they make a pass. I figure once they master that we will be 80 % of the way there in terms of having a true motion offense. We will do some on the ball picks up top (the roll part haven't focused on) if we face good man defense. We also really push the ball in transition. I have the Kelbick transition DVD (and the M.O. ebook). They have been very helpful. Generally, we score more points than the average team in our age group so I think things are generally going pretty well offensively.

We unfortunately face a lot of 2-3 and 3-2 defenses. Generally, I have tried to beat these by having the team really push the ball up the court before they get set up. If not, we still go through our basket cut M.O. and occasionally get passes to cutters or free up the post. I have a couple of long-range gunners and if they are hot that will sometimes break the zone down as most of these defenses the opposition can't close out quick enough. Still this is not the ideal situation for us and too often the guys go passive against the zone and the ball and player movement ebbs to a near halt.

Any suggestions are welcome. I know there is a new Kelbick flex offense DVD out and I am intrigued with that on how it might fare against zones but given that we have made some progress with our M.O. and there is still more to learn there I am a little reluctant to introduce too many new movements and patterns at this age that would hurt some of the intuitiveness the M.O. is starting to teach my guys. Still, we need a couple basic principles and movements for me to teach the guys that would be effective without thwarting our M.O. philosophy. I know some coaches like to stick another player on the box and play a 3-2 but I fear this would end the possibility of any penetration.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 15:30 
Site Admin

Coach,

If you're looking for something primarily for zone offenses I would not get the Flex DVD. It covers offense versus man to man only. I'm not saying it isn't a good offense and good DVD. You would learn some things. But I wouldn't want you to be disappointed seeing it was really geared for M2M.

I really like motion and I think that's a good offense for you to continue with. Couple thoughts...

Quote:
I have yet to be able to integrate the two successfully so that the kids can make reads of the defense and have a choice of those options after they make a pass.

Maybe that doesn't matter and they don't need to read this? When I run 4out 1in motion, it's more of a free form motion. We have a rule... If you pass the ball, either screen away of basket cut. The goal is to basket cut 50% and screen away 50%. The by itself is tough to guard because the defense never knows what you'll do. We set up our cuts by taking the defender away and then trying to face cut (swim). Or they overplay considerably then we look for backdoor but we don't even talk about it much.

We focus on setting good screens and reading the screens. It works pretty well for us. I really don't care what players do, as long as we have player movement, ball movement (reversals), great spacing, get the ball inside (via dribble or pass), take good shots, and take care of the ball. Beyond that I could care less, where they cut or screen. We do work at improving our reads when screening away (curl, fade, or step out -- depending on the defender). But if you make the wrong read, oh well. Just do those 6 key things above and try something else.

For zones, we just make small adjustments our motion and let the kids play. Works pretty well. Read this thread for a description:
viewtopic.php?p=6463#p6463

This is just me, but I would keep teaching motion and learn as much as you can about skill / player development. And maybe pick one or two simple quick hitters to use against zone. There are some good ones in here.
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/zone-plays.html

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 18:35 

Coach -

Jeff has given you some good advice... not much to add here, but -

I would just add this... as your players make their cuts, make sure they get to an open spot on the floor ( passing lanes, where there is no defender between you and the ball )
You can screen the top of the zone and force the baseline defender to pick you up, IF he does that, you can dish to the outside shooter, if he doesn't, you have a short range jumper.
Try utilizing the short corner to weaken the zone, IF he gets the pass, a player in or near the hi post can duck down the lane for a lay up or short jumper.

As for attacking zones, a college coach once told me - "Coach, this isn't rocket science, put em where they aint."

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 10:00 

Jeff & Coach Sar,

Thanks for the feedback. I think we are heading in the right direction. The key over the next year will be getting them to be able to make those reads on whether to screen or cut and even if they don't make the right read, it's no big deal since, as you point out, the offense constantly resets and as long as you are following the principles of good spacing, ball and player movement, and "being where they ain't" then it will all work out.

Part of that issue has to do with decision-making and the players having the confidence to make a split second decision and feeling that even if it is not the best decision that their coach and teammates will be supportive. Otherwise, they will freeze in in their spots and not take the risk. One of the things I know we need to do more of is encourage my perimeter players to pass to cutters instead of always making the safe pass to another player on the perimeter. We generally do a decent job about getting touches for our inside player, but not so good about using bounce passes which would be a big help in passing in traffic (there is just something about bounce passes that kids this age can't seem to grasp as being a good option. We will do bounce pass only scrimmages and the like and that will help a little bit but in their minds it is hard to shake the notion that to move the ball from point A and B it can only travel in a straight (or parabolic) line!).

I will look at those two quick hitters against a zone as well.