All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 11:25 

Coaches,

I am the administrator/assistant coach for a 2nd grade basketball team of girls, and have recently changed coaches. And did i hit the JACKPOT!! not only did I get a great kid for my team, I also got a really great coach. And if that wasn't the best blessing I got a second great coach from a player that played for me last season. Anyhow I have decided to split my team into two, 1. Blue team will be my tournament team and will play at the top of the league. And my red team will be my developmental team, those girls who need more time and need to experience handling the ball etc. Where have you been successful getting girls to tryouts? I have put flyers in a few places, advertised on AAU website and in our local paper. In order to make the split in the team I need 4 players, since I plan to have 7 per team. I have 10 right now.

We recently had the old coach leave and took three of my best players, its not really a problem as the coaches daughter was sorta a bully and didn't care to share the ball. I felt the girls learned more in the two practices with the new coach then 6 months with the old one. Now don't get me wrong at this point the old coaches daughter was the best player...but if you don't use your teammates why have a team?

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 12:55 

How about contacting the local elementary schools and ask them about distributing flyers to their 2nd graders?

Better yet, go over there and talk to the prinicipal and ask him for permission to hand them out.. he can always give the flyers to his second grade teachers to hand out too.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 18:15 

basketballmemaw wrote:
I am the administrator/assistant coach for a 2nd grade basketball team of girls, Blue team will be my tournament team and will play at the top of the league.
I am truly amazed that you have 2nd graders that can already play in tournaments.

Quote:
Where have you been successful getting girls to tryouts?
Coach Sar has a great idea with the local elementary schools. YMCA and city programs might let you post something, although you'd be taking some of their potential customers. In our city (we're in a big one too), the word gets around by parents talking and leagues posting on their websites. If there's a current league going on somewhere, I'd go hang out and watch some games. Maybe talk with some parents on the side.