All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 09:31 

You guys have a great website. It has been a great help for me as a first year 5th grade boys coach. I am looking for some information on how to explain the rules of the game. example what the referee is looking at, moving screen, walk, double dribble. etc.. does your site have this information somewhere and i have overlooked it? We as coaches spend lots of time telling and teaching what to do, but I think little time on what not to do. Looking for information on how to teach rules and types of violations to my 5th grade team. Thanks in advance for your time and reply.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 10:11 
Site Admin

This page might help a little:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/basics/basics.html

I usually teach footwork and rules for dribbling in practice. Beyond that I don't do much. Just use teaching opportunities in scrimmages and games for the kids to learn the rules. I wouldn't get too caught up in rules, with experience the kids will learn them. You don't want them "thinking" out there. You just want them playing, reacting, and with enough repetitions.. repeating the fundamental skills you do in practice. I tell you, when players start thinking out there, they tend to get paralyzed and things fall apart.

Maybe other coaches have experience and opinion on this.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 13:20 

I think that if you teach the right way of doing things you will have less problems... keep it positive. When a kid goes back court you can explain it to the entire team then etc.

Like Jeff said, the more they have to think the slower their feet get.