All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 15:16 

I coach a u10 boys 8-10 yrs,in the huddle we use a coaches board with x's and o's to show where to move but I feel that is not good for them right now. Can help with this, is it good or not good or what? A Few kids can play a little.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 16:39 

With 8-10 yr olds, I'm more in the camp of using timeouts for tweaking fundamentals. In other words, with younger players, it might not be so much about X's and O's as it is executing fundamentals you've worked on in practice. Things like blocking out, hustling back on defense, setting a proper screen, passing and cutting all the way to the basket, getting after loose balls, or just slowing the pace down a bit on offense.

Since younger kids can only focus on a few things you tell them, I'd pick a few that will have the most impact. Trust me; you'll see a half dozen things they could be doing better.

If you're not getting rebounds, I'd emphasize blocking out. Tell them you're counting rebounds in the next quarter and you want to see if they can beat X amount of rebounds. If they're bunching up, have the X's already on the whiteboard before the time-out to show them where you want them on the court. If they're not passing well, remind them to V cut to get open.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 06:25 
Site Admin

Agree with Rob! I do think using a clipboard at this age can be helpful... sometimes you can show them spacing examples and other fundamental concepts on the board. It's a good tool to have available in my opinion.