All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2018, 14:17 

Hi Coaches. I have two daughters that started playing basketball this year. My youngest just turned 7 recently. She surprises me how much she likes basketball. She has good shooting form for her age, but not allot of strength. I put the rim at 8' and she plays with a size 4 ball. She can barely get enough height on the ball to shoot in front of the basket, though. Any exercises or training you recommend at this age level to help her develop more range. My basket does not go any lower and most park's keep the basket at 8' or 9'. I checked out this link on shooting (https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-range.html), but it seemed more appropriate for older youths. Any suggestions? I don't want to do anything that might hurt her, since she is very young. Thanks

PS: This website is fantastic! Great source of knowledge and information for all levels.

-Mike

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2018, 17:24 

At that age, the most important thing is to keep it fun. Not being able to get the ball to the hoop can be frustrating for younger players, but you can do all kinds of passing and dribbling games to supplement the shooting. Just an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dySXLar03AM

You can look up fun drills for younger players.

At the younger ages on shooting, they have to bend a lot more and use their legs, so keep that in mind. For shooting in the short term, you could even use a lighter ball, maybe even a soccer ball?

Just some thoughts.