All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 10:22 

With youth kids it is so hard to get them to spread out. Can you please give mesome good drills that can help the kids to get in a happen of spreading the floor and not being so close to one another in the games?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 10:44 

Best thing I came up with is placing cones in spots. Not sure how old your kids are, but if you're running a 5 out motion offense this works well in practice. Keep it simple and tell them when they pass, they cut all the way to the basket. Other players fill the empty spot above them.

The "mob mentality" usually comes from an offense that allows the kids to do whatever they want. So you have one player with the ball and 4 others surrounding them yelling out their name to pass the ball.

I'm a big proponent of the 5 out motion offense for younger players and putting cones out to show them exactly where they should be and go.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 11:36 

Coach Rob wrote:
Best thing I came up with is placing cones in spots. Not sure how old your kids are, but if you're running a 5 out motion offense this works well in practice. Keep it simple and tell them when they pass, they cut all the way to the basket. Other players fill the empty spot above them.

The "mob mentality" usually comes from an offense that allows the kids to do whatever they want. So you have one player with the ball and 4 others surrounding them yelling out their name to pass the ball.

I'm a big proponent of the 5 out motion offense for younger players and putting cones out to show them exactly where they should be and go.

Can you please give me more of an example(s) please

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 16:36 

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/cutters.html

Let's say you implement the offense above. It's a basic 5 out motion with cutters. You read on the rules, but when you pass, you cut (sprint to the basket looking for a pass), then fill the open spot. All the other players fill the open spots above them. You can put 5 cones out on the floor to represent approximately where you want them to be on the court. You'll have to decide how far apart they can handle a good pass.

Take a look at the diagram in that link and see if that makes sense.