All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 23:18 

Hello everyone
I am looking for for good drills to teach how to get backspin on the ball . My son's form is good but he has a funny spin or a slow spin on the ball when he shoots. what can we do to fix this?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 05:55 
Site Admin

We practice form shooting at the basket (really close), at the wall, and shoot in the air to a spot on the floor.

In this case I would give the player two things to focus on:

- hold your follow through
- get back spin on the ball
- and if needed, you might need to tell him to get enough arc on the shot if shooting flat

You might need to show him what you mean by proper back spin.

If he has trouble getting in then you might start trying different things to help him correct the problem. Sometimes it's grip... starting out with a good consistent grip. Sometimes you just need a target and instruct him that the ball should roll off your finger the same every time.

Then you get thousands of reps shooting the correct way. In time you slowly move out and start using more game like drills. If he slips, you can back to form shooting. Its a process.

Here are a couple form shooting drills:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/fundamentals/shooting-drills.html

With that said, the slow spin might improve as he's older. I don't know how old he is. My son is 11 and small for his age. Good athlete but he has trouble shooting the ball correctly because he's so small. I do tell him.... hold follow through, try to get some back spin, get enough arc, do NOT shoot 3s, stay close. But I don't worry about it too much. Mostly just trying to keep him from getting too bad of habits and develop as an athlete and build a love for the game. Once he hits puberty and grows, we'll REP his shot like crazy refining his form and teaching him how to become a shooter.

For now his back spin is inconsistent... hands are small and just not strong enough to shoot with really good technique. If I were to try and work on his technique we'd use a smaller 27.5 ball and stay real close to the basket... maybe even lower it. But I know in games that will all get thrown out the window so we're just waiting until he gets older.