All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 15:42 

I have a 6 year old son who I am considering letting him try out for a 3rd grade team. I don't know right now. He has played for the YMCA for two years and played for a recreation league when he was 4. I only do a few drills with him, but his attention doesn't last long so I don't push him. He continues to say he wants to play. I am not sure about the talent level of this league, but my son has a lot to work on to me. I thought i would let him try out, because there may be no harm in it if he doesn't make. Honestly, I don't know what to expect when trying out for a 3rd grade team. Are there any drills you can suggest for me to go over with him? In addition, I love your site and plan on coaching in the future.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 16:08 

I would say this right now, IF he wants to try out.. let him go... if he doesn't make it, at least he will see how other kids play.... it should be a good experience for him.

As for teaching him things... keep it simple right now... dribbling and passing, shooting will be tough unless you have a lower basket and smaller ball....... key here is MAKE SURE HE HAS FUN.... hes 6 and this should not be anything serious.

Of course, every kid is different, some enjoy working out trying to get better, but again, he is 6..... FUN is the word.

Look at this and especially Bob Biglelows DVD on Coaching youth basketball.

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/youthbasketball.html