All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 16:17 

Im with Jeff, Golfman and Coach Sars, I had no idea these were 8 year old kids. Heck I thought we were talking high school. folks lets get a life here. Life is way too short Coach Mac

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 16:38 

Coach Sar wrote:
You have me laughing golfman.... but you are so right. These are young kids with little abilities right now, some have more than others true... but for the most part... not much.... and keeping their attention span.... well, good luck with that UNLESS you are having them do something that is a lot of FUN.

I still don't think that a parent meeting is a bad idea.... BUT, the COACH should be in charge of it.... and not the parents. IF anyone thinks that coaching is an easy task... just try it for awhile...... and to coach 8 year olds.... wow..... you better have the patience of a Saint.

Coach, hopefully your not laughing at me (which would be if you came to a practice and watched me try to organzie 10 8 year olds "high" on surgar). You really have to define what "FUN" is. It is different for these kids. We would run a "Super Knockout" tournament (as well as other games) during practice. 8 of the 10 had fun. For the other two, it was more fun to open the gym doors and wander outside or play on the folded up gymnastics mats. :)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 16:58 

JeffHaefner wrote:
Then I think we'll be able to truly give you some good advice. Working with 3rd graders (or any young team like that) is completely different. There are very important things that need to happen at that age and if I'm being honest, parents are often the biggest problem because they are not educated about "child development" and they are also living through their children.

You generally have a few different types of parent.

A) Those that want their kid to go out, be part of team, learn a little about the sport, and have some fun. They'll help out without question and will never complain cause everything is in perspectice.

B) Those that could care less. They'll drop their badly behaved child of and disappear. To them you're a baby sitter.

C) Then you have the ones who think there kid should be playing all the "good" positions regardless if they are capable or not or what it means to the team. They'll try to be the GM and advise you who should play where. A subset of this group is those who think their kid is the next Michael Jordon, if only he had a "better" coach.

D) Then you have the king of them all -- the "WIN" parents. They think this is the NBA and if you loose "you suck." They let the officials have it during the games. They be a canceer in the stands commenting on every move you make (like we all do with our favorite pro teams).

Now a parents meeting is great idea. The problem is that most parents won't pay attention to what you are saying. Others won't like what you say cause they think it should be different. I have parents meetings. One thing I always make sure to go over is the team selection process and Playing Rules for the particular age group (ie; no zone d, no press, distribution of playing time, etc.). Yet, it always comes up that the coach doesn't know what he is doing because he does something required by the rules but not "understood" by the parents. It takes work to be a youth sports parent to understand all that is going on and to work with your child with any questions/issues he has.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 18:58 

I was laughing at your description of kids that age.... and how they practice. It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things with them... keepp up the good work... and God Bless you for working with kids that age.

As for the parent meetings.... I was pretty blunt... (PC is not in my vocabulary) I made it very clear what was expected..... one thing I said was " This is NOT a park district program " " Your sons will earn their playing time - if you cant handle that, send them to the PD. The first year I said that a new assistant almost choked..... I told him I don't want them complaining about playing time.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 23:13 

MY PHILOSPHY ON PARENTS:
"If every kid was half as good as mom and dad thought he was, and twice as good as the kid himself thought he was, you would have a pretty good player on your team. Coach Mac