All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 05:28 

i may be moving to apartment so probably will stick to portable goal. trying to get best portable goal for outdoors. trying to decide on 54 inch by lifetime or go with more expensive 60 inch by first team sports. would prefer to buy something made in america. would appreciate any imput. my 9 yr old will use it every day for hours. thanks

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 05:43 

I'm not sure how much you want to spend on this.... there is a big price range. Decide how much you are willing to spend right now and then look at your options. Is there someplace where you live where you can go look at them, that might help you with your decision. Ask them if there is someone in the area that has one so you can go look at them or talk to the person that owns one.

Good luck

Lifetime 50 inch Shatter Guard Power Lift Portable System

Sale: $424

Lifetime 54 inch Shatter Guard Power Lift Portable System

Sale: $599

First Team Fury II Portable Basketball Goal

Sale: $1,799

First Team Fury III Portable Basketball Goal

Sale: $1,899

First Team Fury Select Portable Basketball Goal

Sale: $1,999

First Team Thunder Select Portable Basketball Goal

Sale: $3,599

First Team Thunder Ultra Portable Basketball Goal

Sale: $3,699

First Team Thunder Pro Portable Basketball Goal

Sale: $3,899

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 06:03 

the fury has a base that is too large, would probably go with the rampage select but it can not ship for a few weeks. i have been researching this for a while and was prepared to go with the "beast " by spalding but found out they are backordered and the product is being changed. new products will be made in iowa called the portable fastbreaks but do not want to wait on them. i prefer to stay under 2000.00 but want 54 or 60 inch backboard. i have read some negative reviews of the lifetime but i see those about most products. if you were spending 700 or less would you go with lifetime or one of the chinese made spaldings? if you are spending 2k or so would you go with 1st team sports or gared? my son will be happy with whatever i buy so maybe i will go the cheaper route.i think this internet buying has passed me buy as i grew up in the 1950's where you went to local sporting goods store. now here in raleigh nc you can go to dick's but few of the products are being stocked and need to be ordered. thanks

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 07:06 

You and I are close to the same age then... I graduated from high school in 56' so you CAN teach an old dog new tricks...... and IF you aren't sure, have your son do the search on the net for you... tell him what you want and I would bet, he will find it.
Is this someplace that you are going to live for a LONG time? OR will you be moving in the near future? I really don't know much about these products, thats why I suggested finding someone who has them and ask them their opinions. I think, IF it were me, I would go with the American Product..... at least that way IF you needed help at some time they are in this counrty. JMO How much are the boards that are 54 - 60? At nine I think I would go with a cheaper product at first and then see how much time he will spend using it.

Jeff / Joe - do you have any insight to these products?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 07:31 

Coach Sar wrote:
You and I are close to the same age then... I graduated from high school in 56' so you CAN teach an old dog new tricks...... and IF you aren't sure, have your son do the search on the net for you... tell him what you want and I would bet, he will find it.
Is this someplace that you are going to live for a LONG time? OR will you be moving in the near future? I really don't know much about these products, thats why I suggested finding someone who has them and ask them their opinions. I think, IF it were me, I would go with the American Product..... at least that way IF you needed help at some time they are in this counrty. JMO How much are the boards that are 54 - 60? At nine I think I would go with a cheaper product at first and then see how much time he will spend using it.

Jeff / Joe - do you have any insight to these products?

i was born in 1949. due to bad real estate market[ my career for 25 years but i coach several bball teams] i sold my home and am renting for year or so. hate to put in a ground unit in rental home as in the future an apartment owner i know would let me put portable in parking lot. i just don't want some cheap system that shakes every time you hit backboard. spalding new goals will be 2k to 2500 but i do not like to buy new product until kinks are worked out. i like what i read about gared and 1st team sports. i will either go that route of just settle for something cheaper. my son just turned nine but has already played on 7 bball teams and will shoot 300-400 shots per day so this is something he will use. thanks for your time.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 10:57 

So, which one did you finally buy? I need to look at one for my kids and a portable one would be good since we're just renting right now also.

A quick google shopping search does show the prices all over the place: http://www.google.com/products?q=basketball%20standards&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf