All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 08:57 

My son is 11 years old; he's soon to return the age twelve years of age. He loves basketball, most of the time coach uses him as a point guard or a shooting guard. He handles the ball well for his age. however, he doesn't score lots of point during games. He was among the middle school basketball team and they place school during the season. What can I do as a single mom, to help him become a better player. I take him to the gym and work with him. I use myself as A big man to go against him; hopeful he want be afraid to drive to the basket. I would like to thank your time and information.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 09:36 

Find a basketball camp that he can go to.... I'm not sure where you are at but most high schools hold camps for kids this age. Maybe there is a private coach in your area that would be willing to help him out?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 15:00 

It sounds like you're doing a great job so far with your son and his passion for basketball.

Coach Sar brought up some great ideas. Camps are a great way to learn a few things about the game, especially at that age its so vital for him to develop a strong fundamental foundation that he can build on as he gets older.

Be as resourceful as possible when finding advise on drills and workouts, keep asking a lot of good questions and you'll lead him down the right path.

All the best,

Dan
www.innovativeathletes.com

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 09:53 

I would second what Coach Sar said. Find some camps for your child to attend.
I would divide your time in the gym into sections such as ballhandling, shooting, footwork, strength work, etc...Use your time effectively and work with a purpose. Chart his shots if possible, determine his strengths and weaknesses.
I would also suggest talking to a local coach, middle school and high school and asking for suggestions. Best of luck.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 13:42 

Talk to the high school coaches..... look at a personal coach IF you can...

Take a look at this video too - I highly recommend this one

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bigelow-youth-right-way.html

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 13:57 

Good to hear you take him to the gym. If possible though, buy him a hoop for your driveway or in backyard. With Spring here and the weather getting nicer, if your son had his own hoop he would spend hours and hours working on his skills.

"Winter is the time to play basketball, spring and summer is the time to get better in basketball"

I agree with the coaches on summer camps. Usually local colleges sponsor their own summer camps for kids your sons age. Call around and search internet for camps. Sleepover camps are fun too, see if your son has a friend who would room with him. Less stress and nervousness going to overnight camps with a friend.

It may be too late for your son to try-out for an AAU team. They usually start around March/April time frame. AAU ball is a big committment for a family but but provides great experience.

Good Luck

Coach A

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 14:39 

Don't forget Mother's Day is May 8th!  Its early this year so don't forget MOM!!!  All moms, grandma's and all the special women in your life will appreciate your thoughtfulness on this special day which celebrates WOMEN.