All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 16:31 

My son currently plays center for middle school, but would like to learn how to play forward or guard. What drills and exercises do you recommend that would help? He will have to practice in his spare time as his coaches want to keep him in the center position. My concern with this is if he stops growing he would essentially be off the team because he lacks the skill set to play another postion. He mainly gets rebounds and passes. Thanks.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 20:34 

Hi coach is not doing him any favors.... or any of the other kids for that matter. At that age they all should learn every skill..... The Center of today might be the Point Guard of tomorrow.

Look at the left side of this page under basketball drills. There are a lot of sites out there that have different drills for players.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 20:36 

Basketball Ball-Handling & Dribbling Drills
VIDEO of Two Ball Dribbling Drills & Moves - these are a few of the drills that are there... go there and click the link.

Don't forget to do some shooting from various spots on the floor. I might suggest that you send your son to the high school camps in your area if they are offered.

One Hand Pound

Chair Changes

Two up - Two back

Dropstep Dribble

Chair Curl

Chair Curl Phase 2 (With 2 Chairs)

Dribble Screens

Two Ball Dribbling Video

Backup Dribble Drill

Splitting The Hedge Drill & Video With Manu Ginobli

VIDEO - Partner Dribbling With Tennis Ball Toss

1 on 2 Pressure Ballhandling Drill

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 11:26 

I appreciate your quick response and suggestions. Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 12:29 

I hope this helps and if anything else comes up, let us know.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 12:42 

Hi Bball Mom,

Coach Sar gave you some great drills to do. I agree with your observation that your son needs to develop guard skills for the future. This will prepare him once he stops growing and puts him in a better position to succeed in HS and beyond. Plus now a days most all Bigs have guard skills, its just the dynamic of today's game.

Here's a link to another workout that aligns nicely w/Coach Sars. http://www.scribd.com/doc/29864689/Bigs-Into-Guards

Its always good to have a variety of drills and techniques to maximize his potential.

Good luck,

Dan
www.innovativeathletes.com

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 15:32 

Hi Danny M,

My son will be trying the workouts on "Bigs into Guards" asap. My son has already tried some of the drills suggested by Coach Sar and they are exactly what he needs. I love this website!

Thanks for your help,
Bball Mom

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 16:14 

Any time and IF you have any other questions as your son goes along, just let us know.