All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 20:10 

I enjoy your newsletters and have purchased some of your products on-line. I am looking for a summer basketball camp for my 13 year old son. He plays on his middle school team and is currently in the 7th grade. Before I start searching on-line, I thought you might have a couple of suggestions. I am looking for a week long overnight camp for overall skill development. I want to further his chance of making his high school team in a couple of years.
Thanks,
Kathy

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 09:26 

I think it is great you are willing to encourage your child to continue working on their skills in the off season. In terms of good camps, I would suggest speaking to your local middle school or high school coaches. Depending on the state you are living in will dictate the camps your child attends. I would suggest looking for a camp that will have fundamental sessions as well as games.
The Five-Star camps are highly recommended as well as the Blue-Chip camps. The amount of money you are willing to spend will also dictate the camp your child attends. Keep searching, camp information usually doesn't come out until the spring time. Best of luck.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 09:38 
Site Admin

Neil offers some great advice.

Here is another option: Find a good coach that can train your son once every week or two.

This will have a much bigger impact on the long-term development of your son. You'll have a professional to monitor the process of your son and give recommendations on how to work out and improve. A good one will also teach life lessons and what it takes to be successful in the greatest game called life.

Don't get me wrong. I think basketball camps are great for players to develop skills and develop social relationships. But if you want to really improve your son, a camp or two over the year won't have nearly the effect of finding a good coach to work with. Not to mention, you might be able to spread out the payments a little more.

What area are you in? We have a network of coaches who read these forums that might be able to find you a quality coach.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 12:05 

I might suggest that you send your son to the high school camp first ... they do more teaching than at some of those other camps.

I don't know what area you are from.... but check with your local colleges, most of them have camps... then try to find someone who attended them and ask them if they had a good time and would go back.

Your son in young and he doesn't need an exposure camp, he needs a teaching camp where they will get a lot of work on skills along with playing games. JMO

I like Joe's idea of a personal trainor too... that way he will get a lot 1 on 1 attention....

Good luck.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 12:29 

Good advice from all coaches!!!

"Winter is the time to play basketball, summer is the time to get better in basketball" -Associate Coach George Blaney- UConn

Off-season practicing is so important in their basketball development.

Most summer camps will have a flyer (either hard copy or PDF file) that you can look through to see their mission statement, objectives, daily itinerary, age groups, coaching staff, guest appreances, etc. These camp flyers can answer most of your questions.

As the coaches before me advised, try local high schools and colleges. Many sponsor basketball camps for all ages.
I suggest having your son "buddy-up" with a friend with his first overnight/week long camp. Having a friend tends to ease any anxiety from being alone away from home.

Lastly....Post-Camp
It's important that he takes what he learns and applies it daily during the rest of the summer in his driveway or at the park. Don't let him take the rest of the summer off from hoop so he can sit inside and play Wii

Out,

Coach A

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 15:42 

Good information Coach A!!

I like the idea of him going with a buddy, that would help him thru the tough times.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 10:33 
Site Admin

Here is our Breakthrough Basketball camps if you are still looking for camps:

http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/camps/