All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009, 11:12 

I have two sons that play basketball, I've coached them both over the years, we live in Calgary Canada. I've subscribed to your website for quite awhile now, and have found your drills, ebooks etc. very useful, especially when I've been coaching the 9-12 year olds. I'm looking for some advice. My oldest son is in grade 12 this year and played on his high school junior team last year. He about 6'4" and 160 lbs, played the wing. He has good courts smarts, knows what everyone should be doing on the court, plays good defense, rebounds and shot blocks well, runs the floor, etc. The coach had him do all the throw-ins on inbound plays as he knows he will do the smart thing with the ball. On offense he plays wing, passes the ball well, likes to play on the perimeter and shoot, isn't confident about his ability to go to the basket with the ball, though he's been working on it and will get in to rebound. He'll score about 6-8 points a game, his team will typically score 50-70 overall. He's hesitant about trying out for his senior team as he feels his lack of scoring will hurt his chances of making the team, or if he does he won't get much floor time. It's a big time commitment from December to mid-March, and he doesn't want to sit on the bench given the importance of his school work etc. I've counseled him, as I do all the players that I coach, that scoring is only one of the 5-6 things a good player needs to do, and that the things he does well are as or more important than scoring; only 2-3 people need to be good scorers, everyone needs to play sound defense, etc. As a coach I would put a player on the court who plays good defense, hustles, rebounds etc. and scores a little over a high scorer who doesn't do the other things as well. I've also suggested to him that he talk to his coach, who he knows fairly well, and have a discussion about this potential role on the team. I'm hoping that you or one of the other coaches could give me and/or my son some advice on this. I'd like him to at least tryout because he loves the game and not making the team or even playing on a limited basis is a good life lesson.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Bernie
Calgary, Canada

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009, 14:16 

Bernie,
I don't know how anyone could say it better. He's already spent a lot of time learning the game and from what you say about him he has a lot to offer a team. There is room for anyone who has these skills. There is only one ball and 5 players... everyone doesn't have to shoot it.
I look at it this way, this is his Senior year... and this is FUN time for him... this is what its all about... playing in the big games in front of his peers and others. I think it would be a big mistake for him NOT to try out, he will question himself for the rest of his life if he does.
How many coaches would die for a kid his size with his skills!! Obviously the junior coach had a lot of confidence in you or you wouldn't have been doing all those things......

Try out for the team young man, enjoy the ride and your last year in school. Sports have a way of keeping you focused.... on academics as well as the game. GOOD LUCK!

Ken

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2009, 15:00 
Site Admin

I agree. He won't get this chance again and if he doesn't try he will probably regret not trying for the rest of his life. With that said, that's assuming that he really likes basketball. A number of athletes play sports because they feel like they have to and don't really like it. Just look at the Andre Agassi book. He says that he hated every minute of playing tennis.

If competitive basketball isn't fun for him and he doesn't have aspirations to play at that level, then it's obvious he shouldn't try out. However, if fear of failure is the main reason he doesn't want to try out, that is NOT a reason. He should do his absolute best. And if he fails, at least he knows he did his best. That's what is important. Otherwise he'll be wondering the rest of his life.

Also, have him read articles like this that tell him what it takes to make the team:
http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/p ... -time.html

Asking the coach what you need to do to make and help them team is one of the best things you can do. What coach would not help a proactive young man that wants to do what ever it takes to succeed?

But it's all up to your son to make it happen. And no matter what happens, it will be a great life lesson.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 00:33 

I think you need to sell him on the idea that one of his strengths is his niche that will get him the playing time he is looking for. Encourage him to do it so well that the coach can't go without him on the court. Something like a Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman.

I know I personally have had a player that maybe scored 4 points the whole season but started every game because I knew defensively he could shut down anybody.

http://www.spartanpt.com/blog

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 22:45 

hi, bernie.

i'm from philippines and currently a college student.

i think you have already done your part. it's up to your son to decide now.

but if you want still want to CONVINCE him, try to ASK his friends, teammates, coach, or perhaps his favorite NBA player, so your son will be inspired. sometimes a person needs an inspiration.

just make sure that you UNDERSTAND his DECISION whatever it is.

god luck...

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 19:28 

Bernie: When i was a High School coach, I had been asked that question several times. "What do I have to do to make this team" My stock answer! "You Know". You know exactly what you have to do to make this team, you need to work harder than anyone else, If you feel there is a weakness in your game, then work on that weakness. If you need to develop your weak or off hand, then during the off season, scrimmage and only use your off hand but don't tell anyone that's what you are doing. If it's defense, always guard the best offensive player on the court. If its shooting, passing or ball handling spend time working on your form and fundamentals. Take a 1000 shots a day from all positions. Many times this question is asked by perspective players as a way to find out if they actually have a chance of making the team. Those who refuse to give into doubts are most likely to be successful.

Coach Mac

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 18:13 

Bernie,

You have advised your son well. I agree with the other posts that say your son SHOULD try out for his senior team. He is a proven player and obviously knows what it takes to win and be a team player. I wish I had him on my team here in Houston :) It is probably a good idea for him to talk to the coach to get a feel for the coach's vision and for the coach to hear your son's heart. Ultimately it is your son's decision and he needs to know that he has your support no matter what.

Coach Cleveland