All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2021, 06:26 

I'm parent helping my son with basketball progressions. I'm trying to find chair drill for counters when defender stops his drive. One drill I see is a single chair drill where single, double or triple moves.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2021, 10:27 
Site Admin

Is this the drill you're referring to?
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/drills/chairchanges.html

In any case, to get good at counter the defense after an attack, I suggest setting up game like situations that often happen:

1) Catch, take 1 hard dribble, then change directions (counter) and finish with a layup or jump shot.

2) Catch, take 2 hard dribbles, then change directions (counter) and finishing with a layup or jump shot.

Both of these can be practiced with chairs, cones, or nothing at all. We usually practice with no chairs or cones... because the chair can often be in the wrong position depending on the stride length of the athlete.

Next add a live or reference defender in situations #1 and 2 above.. As a parent, I often act the defender, having my kids attack one direction and then I cut them off, forcing them to read the situation and change directions. This is about as close as you can to simulate what needs to be done in a game when executing a counter move.

If no defenders are available, just go as fast as possible to challenge your self. Those first 1 or 2 dribbles should be full speed, trying to beat the defender on the initial move.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2021, 10:33 
Site Admin

For progressions, there is almost no limit to what can be done. It depends on what the athletes wants to or need to work on. An example progression could be:

One dribble with change into a layup:
10 - cross over changes
10 - through legs changes
10 - behind back changes
10 - spin changes

Two dribble attack with change into a layup:
10 - cross over changes
10 - through legs changes
10 - behind back changes
10 - spin changes

Now repeat except with jump shots.

Now repeat but you initial move is a fake rip (jab step and attack into 1 or 2 dribbles).

Now repeat but your initial move is shot fake

Now repeat but your initial move is a drop step

I could go on but hopefully you get the idea.

Lastly, I like to start mixing the sequences to simulate what happens in a game. Instead of doing the same thing 10 times in a row (block practice), randomize the sequences:
1 dribble into crossover with layup
2 dribble through legs with jumper
1 dribble behind back with layup
2 dribble spin with jumper
catch and shoot
free throw