All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2018, 12:46 

My son attends a public high school that has been a frequent state champion the last couple of years and continues to attract talented players --- they have new transfers who came to the school last spring as high major d1 commits, and they have some rising freshman who will play varsity that had high d1 interest starting in middle school (both play for coach's AAU team).

My kid is a rising junior who played JV last year and is good but is not at that level of talent. He's currently getting some d2 and d3 recruiting interest based on his play in showcases and AAU games, but he's not going to play d1. He doesn't really care -- he just loves to play and would like to play in college.

Given that my kid's school graduated 5 and is replacing them with transfers and new freshmen, I don't see him even making the varsity team next year (I doubt they will cut kids who played varsity last year). He didn't get invited to play summer league with the team, which is typically a clear signal.

The two college coaches I've asked have said that it's very, very difficult to get recruited to even play d3 if you don't play for your high school and only play AAU, but other people (trainers, AAU coaches) think it's possible. Does anyone have informed insight into this? Does it ever happen?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 15:08 

It's definitely possible, college recruiters show up to AAU tourneys. The deal is, you have to play in tourneys where the recruiters are showing up. A lot of times that means traveling to tourneys in CA, Vegas, Atlanta, etc.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 15:21 

Yeah, he's playing in tournaments that coaches attend (tons were in the coaches' seating area last weekend, including two schools that have reached out to my son), and he's gotten a lot of invitations to college prospect camps, as well as some direct emails and texts from coaches asking about his GPA, grades, where he will be playing this summer, etc. There seems to be some actual interest from college coaches, but I'm not sure if they will change their minds if he's not playing for his school. That's my worry, because two coaches I spoke to said that it would be a big red flag for them.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 10:53 

You're not positive he won't make the high school team yet. Sounds like it's pretty stacked, but I've seen wacky stuff happen. Injuries, kids move, etc.

PostPosted: 22 May 2020, 07:50 
Site Admin

If he doesn't care much, then a basketball at the next level might not be a reality. He might prefer pick up games and intramurals. And there's nothing wrong with that. If he really wants to play college ball, he needs to improve his skills, athleticism, decision making... and then (IF he's good enough player), he'll have a chance to get some college coaches interested.

There are lots of factors that go into recruiting. Sometimes players get noticed at AAU, at state tournaments, or based on accolades/stats. In other cases, players can be proactive going after certain schools. It's really important to understand if they are D1 major level of player, D1 mid-major,level, D1 low-major, D2, D3,, and so on. There's also JC and NAIA. A D3 level player is not going to have luck being proactive going after D1 majors. You have to understand what is a realistic level for you!

How do you motivate him? I'd say just talk to him without in a very caring, accepting, and loving way. Ask what he wants to do after high school. Make sure he knows you are supportive of him and want him to follow his passions (not yours). Otherwise he'll just say what he thinks you want him to say.

If he wants to play ball, then you can discuss realistically what he needs to do to play college ball. Maybe get evaluated by an unbiased coach. Then go work on those things.

If getting more athletic is a top priority, do a program like this:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/athletic-development-program.html

If improving shooting is a priority, do a program like this:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/shooting-system.html

There are plenty of good resources out there, depending on what is needed.

95 times out of 100 (maybe more than that), parents want to get their kids in front of college coaches to get "noticed". But THEY ARE NOT good enough for coaches to notice them. They either don't have the size, speed, defensive quickness, ability to finish at the basket, shooting ability, or all around combinations skills , attitude, and athleticism the coach is looking for.. That is why getting a accurate and unbiased evaluation is SO important and something that should be done before "trying to get noticed". Maybe you have this handled and I'm preaching to the choir... but in most cases this is the advice parents and players need.

Hope this helps and good luck!