All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2019, 11:35 

Hello! My son has done your camps, they are wonderful, amazing!!! What is your opinion on Travel Club basketball?? We are from Dubuque. Are the club teams money makers?? My son just tried out for a team in Cedar Rapids, minimum of $1400!! Just for
The summer months! HELP!
My son LOVES basketball!!!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2019, 12:26 
Site Admin

It depends. Some clubs are great for kids and some are a waste. It depends on the club, the coach, and the player.

Some players really benefit from playing against higher level competition.... if they are placed on right team, against right competition, they get meaningful minutes regarding playing time, and the coach does a decent job.

Some clubs are simply focused on winning... they recruit the best players and play against the top competition. Coaching strategy is sometimes decent but that doesn't mean it's good for your childs development.

Some clubs are focused more on development.... and winning is secondary to development. You really can't make both a priority... as a club you have to decide which is more important and have a philosophy regards that.

With the right club, right coach, and right team.... I think it's worth the investment. But in some cases.... players need to focus on skill development and make that a priority... if the club takes too much away from that skill development because of commitment level or playing too much... it can sometimes be a detriment.

So that's a long winded way of saying "it depends". If you have questions about your specific situation, let us know.