All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 10:34 

I was just curious about the number of offensive set plays for a high school team and middle school. My son is on a middle school team and is expected to know over 22 plays. Is that normal?

Thanks,

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 11:39 

A bit over the top I'd say, especially for middle school. Different "sets" can have several plays off those sets and you can also have individual plays that run separately from a set offense. So, it would be easy to have up to 15 plays with 3 offensive sets. Again though, that seems a bit extreme at the middle school level.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 13:04 
Site Admin

My teams run motion offense and have 1 very simple play.

My daughters middle school team has 6 or 7 plays and I personally think that's too many. But the coach is very supportive, great demeanor, etc... and does a good job. So it does not bother me at all. Everyone has a different way of doing things. My daughter is still learning and getting exposed to new and different coaching methods.

I know very good coaches at high school level that have 20-50 plays. I don't think I'd ever coach like that. But at varsity level I have no problem with that and coaches go with what they know and works for them. But I do think having 22 plays is very excessive for middle school level!

If it were me, I would strongly disagree with the philosophy but I'd never tell my child that, other parents, or even the coach. I'd be very supportive and know my kid will be missing some things but also learning from this different coaching style.

My two cents.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 18:43 

Yes, and the problem with too many plays, especially at the younger levels, is that kids don't get a chance to improve their court sense. The more you script out the scene on the court, the less the kids have to rely on their own bball IQ.

At the younger levels, I'm more in the camp of having a concept on offense (e.g., motion, flex) with some basic rules and fundamentals in place, but allowing the kids room to flow with the dynamics on the court. I also lean more towards making sure the players understand how to set up a cut, sprint a cut, set a screen and take a screen. Sounds simple, but you'd be amazed how many teams run plays with poor fundamentals.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2018, 22:06 

Thank you so much for your replies. I didn't think that was the norm. My son is frustrated because several of his teammates have been running some of those plays for the past two seasons, together. All of these plays are new to him.

It's really coming from the high school coaches. They basically instructed the middle school coaches that if a player on the 7th and 8th grade teams don't know the plays, don't play them. Fundamentally, my son is stronger than several of the players who are getting more playing time. Those other players have memorized those plays a lot faster than my son, which is allowing them to see the floor before my son. During games, many of those plays are not well executed (because those players lack the technical skills).

Again, thanks for your input.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 06:51 
Site Admin

Well now at least he knows what he needs to do to prepare for next year. Be proactive, get all the plays from the coach, and memorize them. Maybe even practice them in driveway before season starts running through the actions from one position. Good luck!

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2018, 12:49 

Personal preferences aside, it sounds like you'll have to do as Jeff suggested. Different coaches have different requirements, sounds like the HS coaches are into knowing the plays.