All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 07:44 

My daughter plays junior varsity and varsity. In her league there are 2 teams that thrive on playing rough. Most of the time it's elbows, pushing, etc., and gets away with it for the most part. The first time this year they played on of these 2 teams, a girl from 'the rough' team was injured and taken to the hospital. She tore something in her left, still in a brace and of course, hasn't played since. Can anyone give any advise as to how my daughter (and daughters team) can handle this? As soon as her team start playing rough, they get whistled, some foul out and the coaches get a technical for arguing for the same treatment. HELP ANYONE!?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 12:58 
Site Admin

As a coach I want our kids playing the right way. I don't want them worrying about things they can't control -- like the refs, the opponent, etc. Focus on what they can control.

When we play rough teams -- we play almost exactly the same when we play soft teams. Box out with proper technique on every shot, use correct defensive fundamentals, meet your pass on offense, use fundamentally sounds screens on offense, pivot out of pressure, etc.

We just play the right way and play "our game".

The only adjustment we sometimes make is try to get the ball moving a little quicker. If you pass the ball around quickly and use pass fakes, it gets the defense chasing and they can't catch up with you to make contact.

But bottom line is the coach has to decide how to handle things and a players job is to listen to the coach. So as a player the main thing you can do is improve fundamental skills so you can better handle the physical play.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2018, 23:15 

I've noticed that when you play rough teams, if they're rough right out of the gate and the officials don't call it, you're going to be in for a long game. And when you get to the end of the game, you're probably going to have more fouls too ironically. For some reason, some officials will let one team beat the heck of out of the other team and not call anything, but if the less aggressive team does anything aggressive similar to the more aggressive team, they will get whistled every time. I've been trying to figure it out for a while because it's pretty consistent in the youth games I've watched this year.

I've actually been having an issue with my rec team where they've been singling out my best player and calling things super tight with him. They blow the whistle on everything he does....the most ridiculous was a game where we were up by 20 with 10 seconds left, and one of their players is reaching/fouling trying to steal the ball from my best player (5th grade basketball). Instead of calling a foul or letting the time run out, they called 5 seconds, lol. I'd never seen that called in a kids rec game ever, but why call it with 10 seconds left in a game where it's out of reach and we're just running out the clock? In the last game he got leveled on layups multiple times with no calls while getting the same tight call treatment. I have everything filmed so I was able to verify that I wasn't imagining things.