All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 08:31 

​Hi, sending this for my son Hunter,

Hunter is 14 and says motivation is the toughest thing, he could also probably use some advice on drills he can do by himself.​

Hunter is 6' tall, with long legs, long arms (6' wingspan) little on the wirey side (prob 120 lbs). He hustles very hard in practice and games. His coordination has finally come around. His middle school team was very good and coached by a couple of the players parents, so he didn't see much playing time in middle school. He played a short summer league season with the freshman class he's entering. The coach saw some potential and he made the second team (36 tried out and hunter was in the top 18). He started most games. He moves down the court really well, kind of likes wing, but his team is really small and he would probably help out the most as post.

Hunter love's basketball and follows the NBA with great enthusiasm, quite the trivia buff.

Any advice, help at camp, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Caleb

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 15:55 
Site Admin

If you're saying that getting the motivation to workout is hard for him, then my advice would be to start a " daily routine".

It can start out as little as 5 minutes a day. Maybe work on ballhandling at home for 5 minutes. But it's every day. Like brushing your teeth. Make it a habit.

After a week bump up to 7 minutes. Keep adding two minutes each week. Before you know it he'll be up to a 20-45 minute workout. How high he goes is up to him. But even working out 10 minutes every day will help.

Here's ballhandling workout he can do at home:
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/bhworkouts.html

If want to add shooting, he can try the attack and counter workouts. Just break them up into smaller chunks especially at first. Make it a daily routine.
https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/pr/acworkouts.html

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 11:59 

i talk to the player & ask them to think about what their goals are. then i give him/her a blank notebook and tell them to write their goals on the 1st page of the notebook. they can write general goals {play in college} and/or target specific goals {be able to dunk by Dec 1st}. i don't try to direct them what i think their goals should be. it's their goals not mine. they only thing i ask of them is that they are honest with themselves.

then every day they are to write what they did that day to help reach the goals they listed on the 1st page. if they don't do anything that day i tell them to write that down. {"Saturday Aug 5th: did not do anything"}.

i end by telling them i don't want to EVER look at the book, it's for them only. and at some point they will or will not reach their goals but they will be able to look back at this book and see the reason why.

this approach is not just limited to sports. i also used this approach for a kid who wanted to get into music. that kid is on tour now.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2017, 09:24 

I would ask him what is discouraging him first. It's hard to help a player fix a problem before you know what the problem is ya know. Like most kids he will probably respond with I don't know, but if you keep asking or trying different angles by offering "problem possibilities" he will eventually get to the root.

Once you are there then you can better address the motivation piece in my opinion. Good luck!